Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Foundations

jtrabona
Just Starting Out

Foundations

In the drying out of the current drought,  I've noticed cracks in the plaster due to movement.  I went under the house, and the floor piers are good, but the ground is incredibly dry under the house,and there are cracks about 15-20mm in size

I've read that because things are dry, and it's clay, BTW,  that I should put a soaker hose under the house and water it a bit, but another builder said this would be wrong because the clay might cause more issues.

Opening this question for discussion,  and advice?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Foundations

Hi @jtrabona,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great you could join us. I trust that you will receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our community members. Please feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have a new project to share. 

I'm sure this is a common problem, particularly at the moment with such dry conditions around the country. It will be good to read other opinions from community members. Let me tag a few members for you who might like to kick off the discussion with their thoughts and/or experience: @2Belindas@ProjectPete@PJA@Brad and @LePallet.

Thanks for joining in the discussion,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Interesting topic. 

I think a soaker hose would be the wrong approach, as you would be creating an area that is always moist and termites would love it. Do you have timber footings @jtrabona?

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Do you have any trees next to your house @jtrabona. If you were watering your foundations regularly then the trees could send out roots towards your foundations as they seek out the water. Could cause more issues...

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Do you know what it was like under the house before the drought @jtrabona?

How old is the house?

And how significant are your cracks?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects