Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fun In The Sun

Trying
Making a Splash

Fun In The Sun

Wishful thinking in this winter weather don't you think ? My she-shed has a rather large sliding glass door which faces north and will give wonderful bush views with light and warmth from the winter sun. However, in summer I don't want to lose the view by using blockout type window coverings to keep cool. I've already purchased light filtering panel blinds but I'm thinking of having the glass covered with that window tinting film used for windscreens. Would love to have advice or opinions from other workshoppers if anyone would be so kind. Thanks in advance. You wonderful people have no idea how much your help means to this old girl. Cheers.    

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Fun In The Sun

Hi @Trying, another option might be to look at a retractable awning?

blind3.jpegblind1.jpgblind2.jpg

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Trying

G'day kid : )

The angled louvre pergolas are a great idea, I can work on a lightweight design, that you'd be able to manage with a helper.  I could even include pivotting louvres so that you can vary the angle to suit the day if you're interested.

Here's the principal:

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/380765343468607509/

What style are you favouring, contemporary, recycled rustic, or shabby chic?

An alternative is a detachable shade cloth sail that can be removed for winter &  easily reinstalled for summer. Or maybe a shade cloth sail that is fixed on 1 side to the wall, rolled up manually for winter,  or manually rolled out for summer.

Shade cloth:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-4m-x-5m-OUTDOOR-SUN-SHADE-SAIL-CANOPY-SAND-CLOTH-RECTANGLE-/160746689...

Other sizes & shapes available.

Easy peazy.

Hi @Isobel, I did look at retracting awnings, but found them too pricey. The film solution is around 15% of the awning price,so that's fairly attractive to my budget, plus the film doesn't rust  and is maintenance free. I'm almost sold on it but will wait until I see the samples-I don't want to make the interior too dark by mistake. Thanks for your suggestion-it was much appreciated. Cheers

Hey@andymann, wow you are so knowledgeable and  capable to be able to design a purpose-built structure such as is on your link. It is very impressive to see the many ways of addressing the problem of heat. Unfortunately I would be unable to erect such a structure,even with help. I'm favouring the shade sail idea though - I think it's terrific ! Will definately investigate what 'extras' I will need, such as posts and prices,etc.. while I wait for film samples to arrive. It will be one or the other. Thank you so much for going to all that trouble for me - I do appreciate it. Cheers

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Trying

No need to thank me for the suggestions, I love doing it, & you're pretty special, which makes it even more rewarding for me.

I had a brain fade & forgot to mention that we have experience with window tinting.

We did it ourselves, but it is definitely a 2 person job. It's not hard, it's just awkward, it's like putting a large sheet of Glad Wrap on the window.

An absolute must is to wear lint free clothing, & thoroughly vacuum the room beforehand.

Regarding maintenance, it scratches easily if grit is on it's surface when cleaning it, so don't forget to lightly brush it first, before lightly wiping it over with a damp cloth.

Lastly, it will change colour over time, our smokie brown tint turned pinkish purple. ; )

If you like the sound of a shade sail, I reckon that it's a better choice. Don't stress over the confusion of all the expensive fittings that are on display, they aren't necessary. When I installed ours, it was something that needed to go up quickly, but there more pressing jobs to do, so I just used eye bolts at each corner, & used fencing wire to hang it. I'm not proud to say it, but it stayed that way for a couple of years, & surviving several strong gales. I've only recently restrung it with the stainless steel multi stranded wire, using minimal fittings.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects