Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help! My walls look blue

Ajmod
Building a Reputation

Help! My walls look blue

I have painted a couple of rooms in my house using Dulux Wash and Wear – Lexicon (full strength). Once the 2 coats dried, my rooms have come up looking blue in certain lights and especially against the white ceilings.

I wanted a white that had a tinge of grey in it, which is what the sample card looked like. Not blue. Was thinking of using Lexicon quarter instead but I’m still worried that blue will come through.

Does anyone else have experience of their walls looking blue? Or using the Lexicon colour?

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Help! My walls look blue

It's probably a cool white as opposed to a warm white. 

Rather than repainting, you could try using a different lightglobe. Try ones with a warm light rather than a cool white. And how much natural light do you get? How does it look in natural light?

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

My walls are Dulux Natural White and they have a grey tone to them.

Haven't had the issue of blue walls, but I would try a different light globe to see if it helps!

Another idea is to speak to a Dulux Colour Consultant. You can book them through Bunnings @Ajmod

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Lexicon Quarter is a great white. I've done my whole house (inside) in it. No blue. No grey.

I have had similar issues before with greys looking like they have a purple tinge amongst other things. But Lexicon Quarter is spot on.

The type of light definitely has a big impact.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
RenoQueen
Making a Splash

What kind of house do you have?

Cooler whites tend to suit more modern or contemporary spaces which have plenty of natural light, whereas the creams or yellowish whites often lend themselves more traditional properties that might have smaller windows and less natural light. 

Dulux Lexicon Quarter is one of the whitest whites around if that's what you're after. 

Ajmod
Building a Reputation

Thanks everyone! Our house is a 70s home that we're in the process of renovating. The main living spaces are large and get lots of natural light, but bedrooms and bathrooms are on the small side. The walls are currently painted a dark cream colour.

So far, we have painted an ensuite, bathroom and small bedroom. The bedroom has a large window but the ensuite and bathrooms don’t get much natural light.

It doesn’t look as blue when in daylight (more light grey, instead of a white).

Thanks for the globe suggestion! We’ll have LED downlights throughout the house so I’ll make sure to buy warm light globes. This might save us repainting those rooms.

The rest of the house gets quite a bit of natural light but we’re still worried to keep painting with Lexicon.

I only have a photo of the paint going on (Lexicon full strength). The blue is more noticeable once it dried and had 2 coats applied.

.paint problem (1).jpg

aly
Making a Splash

My sister had a similiar issue when she installed white pressed metal sheets as a splashback in her renovated kitchen. The pressed metal is a great look but the white does throw a light tone of blue up and seems to be a bit more noticeable against the cream cupboards they've used below. Still looks good and they're happy with the result!

RufioXC
Finding My Feet

Hi There,

For new people looking for information on this. My walls turned almost baby blue when we first painted our rooms. My partner almost had a heart attack! (I kinda lowkey liked it though). Quickly i realized the older grey/blue carpet was reflecting and throwing off the wall color. Once we ripped up the carpet and polished the floor boards it looked closer to what we Expected. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @RufioXC. We are looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you have something to share with other members. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration in return.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jenw
Finding My Feet

I have just painted all the interiors in Lexicon full strength but some wall look like a baby blue colour. The sample pot which I tried out did not show any blue. Don’t really like it so may have to paint over the wall again with vivid white but it’s another cost.
bit disappointing.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects