Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix a large chip in my laminate floor boards?

kate7
Finding My Feet

How can I fix a large chip in my laminate floor boards?

Hi! 
I’m living in a rental and have dropped a large glass bowl on the laminate floors boards, which as resulted in a large chip. Is there a chance I can fix this myself? Or would the section need to be removed and replaced? Photo  attached! 
thanks 

IMG_1227.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How can I fix a large chip in my laminate floor boards?

Good Afternoon @kate7 

I have seen repair videos where a small area is cut out with a stanely knife and replaced with a similar sized one. Have you had a look around flooring places/bunnings to see if there is current stock of what you have? If there isnt then maybe underneath something (behind the fridge type deal) that you could steal a small piece from?

Or better yet!

Just had a squiz on youtube for ways to fix laminate flooring. Saw this! Fix laminate flooring from laptop drop Seriously worth atry! Id try a practicepiece first of course but this way dosnt require any cutting or gluing!

Would love to see the after pic if you try it :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kate7 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your laminate floorboard.

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at Timbermate Timber Touch Up Kit - Mixed Colours. This kit should be perfect to fill up the damage on your floor. 

There is also the temporary option of using Boyle 1.5m x 45cm Wood Parquet Self Adhesive Film. Simply cut a small section similar to your floor and paste it over the damage. Please note that the patch is only a temporary fix and will not last a long time.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@EricL and @kate7 

:surprised: looks like I will be getting some to put into a few scratches on my floorboards! Thats brilliant, Thanks Eric

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"Please note that the patch is only a temporary fix and will not last a long time."

I think that's a very important note to make @EricL . Basically you're putting coloured candle wax in a hole on a floor, which is subjected to friction, dirt, grime, shoes, boots, chair-table legs, mops, water spills, etc. Admittedly we did not buy expensive floating floor, but I tried the wax sticks and with a little bit of artistic skill (as per @Dave-1's video) it came up beautifully. You couldn't tell where the misadventure with a falling knife occurred. At least, I thought, it might prevent water/moisture intake.

That was 2016.

But now...

20230802_081647.jpg

I'm thinking @kate7 - try using the wax sticks now, for experience - but when you decide to move out of the rental, do it again.

Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects