Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to assess whether stairs are load-bearing?

sf1004
Finding My Feet

How to assess whether stairs are load-bearing?

IMG_3995.jpeg

IMG_3989.jpeg

IMG_3990.jpeg

IMG_3991.jpeg

  

IMG_3993.jpeg

Hi 👋 

We’re looking at opening our in closed space underneath our stairs. Before doing so we just want to check if our staircase was load bearing before removing the front panel and getting rid of frame used to support the panel.

The frame doesn’t seem structural and timber feels soft. Just want to double check once again before we make any drastic moves.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Load Bearing Stairs

Hi @sf1004 

To my eyes, the closed space framework bears no structural load from the actual staircase. The framework looks to be built after the stairs - and held in place by only three nails to the underside with the plywood then attached.

But, there are better eyes than me out there.

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sf1004. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing framing under your stairs.

It's not really possible to give you an answer without assessing every element of the staircase, but if the framing were a structural element, then there would have been better ways to construct it. Most of it can be attributed to the installation of the panelling at the front. In the image below, I've illustrated the non-structural elements in green and those that could potentially be structural in red.

I tend to agree with @Noyade that this framing in non-structural, but it's hard to give you a definitive answer. If in doubt I'd recommend you employ the services of a structural engineer to take a quick look at it for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Okay sure will do! Thanks for both your insights! 

Eyes.

To me @MitchellMc, that red line you've drawn following the staircase angle - is just that, the staircase - but without the stain. There is no additional wood following the staircase....I think.

The three uprights with the bevels cut - are only tacked on with one nail each.

Aren't eyes, photos and monitors fun.  🙂

Capture.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh yes, sorry @Noyade. I should have continued the line further; I was just acknowledging that the stringer was indeed a structural element also. I didn't mean to stop the red line at the upright. It's basically just the uprights that could possibly be structural.

My only concern, despite the inappropriate connection technique, is that these are inadequately attached structural supports.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I see! 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects