Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a cat door in 12cm wall?

Toby1
Growing in Experience

How to build a cat door in 12cm wall?

Hey folks

I want to put a door for our cat in the back wall of our house. It's plasterboard on the inside, overlapping wood planks on the outside, with about 120mm between inside and outside. Can anyone recommend a pet door and a method of doing this? Most of the commercially available ones seem to be for much thinner walls/doors, with the inside and outside parts meant to attach to each other in some way.

1.jpg

Many thanks

Toby.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cat door in 12cm wall

Hello @Toby1

I suggest having a look at the Hakuna Pet Door products. They have pet doors for cats and dogs of various sizes. The best part is that they have what is called a pet door tunnel kit. This kit will allow you to install the pet door into a 120mm thick wall. However, I strongly recommend engaging the services of a qualified builder to make an assessment if it is safe to install this pet door into your nominated spot. 

Your local council might have rules and regulations pertaining to the installation of pet doors on your wall. Security and safety are something you might want to consider as well. It's best to cover all your bases to make sure that it is safe to install this pet door in that location.   

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Deluxe Aluminium Pet Door

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Toby1 

I had a similar thought a few years ago with our puppy. I planned on punching through a lounge room corner leading out to a covered verandah area.

What eventually deterred me was the effort involved and could I guarantee 100% the dog would use it? I didn't plan on using a kit.

So I went through the screen door.

Hindsight says I could've punched through the wall.....he learnt to use it very quickly.

Any chance of bracketing your screen door and framing it for a cat door?

Toby1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric! It's a pity that Bunnings don't seem to sell the tunnel extenders. Having said that, it's just some light panels and long screws, so I could probably DIY it.

Toby1
Growing in Experience

Is it revealing that I'm looking forward to punching a hole in the wall? :laugh:

The door isn't really an option--would have to go through the door itself (which is mostly glass) plus the screen door. The wall is probably the easier option, tbh.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Toby1,

I just wanted to double-check on what tunnel extenders you were looking for. The Hakuna pet doors can be extended with their tunnel kits. The doors are available in-store, and we can order the tunnel kits for you.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with looking forward to punching a hole in the wall. I had a possum trapped in my wall cavity yesterday. Unfortunately, they'd managed to escape by the time I got my tools ready to bust them out.

Mitchell

Toby1
Growing in Experience

Oh you can order the extenders? Do I just go to the service desk in-store for this? That would be good, thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I do apologise, @Toby1; it's just come to our attention that those tunnel kits are not listed for your location on the Bunnings website. We are in the process of getting that sorted now. I have confirmed they are available through your local store's Special Orders desk. I've added a screenshot of the product below so you can show the team.  

I suspect you'll be using the Hakuna Pets Small White Deluxe Aluminium Pet Door or Hakuna Pets Small Black Deluxe Aluminium Pet Door and the compatible tunnel kit below. If the team has issues using the I/N 0392350 for the order, they can place an off-range order with model #2895.  

Please let me know if you have any issues ordering the product, and I'll contact the store for you.

Mitchell

Toby1
Growing in Experience

Hey @MitchellMc I am having a few issues getting the tunnel kit ordered via Special Orders.They sent me a quote, but I'm not 100% sure it's the right part, and they haven't responded to my email. Can you assist?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Toby1,

Everything looks good on the quote from my end. I'll reach out via PM for some additional details just to make sure though.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects