Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect bayonet for natural gas heater?

Gio
Finding My Feet

How to connect bayonet for natural gas heater?

Hello there,

we are renting a house with a gas, we have located the gas bayonet for heating in the lounge room. But our heater has a 1/2 inch bayonet and it looks like the floor bayonet is 1/4 inch. Is there anything I can do ? New hose or a connector ?

818A2AEC-40CC-44AB-BAC5-1D10A4B5C3B3.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Natural Gas heating

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Gio. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a natural gas heater.

That's an older, smaller sized bayonet fitting. I suggest that it would be best to approach the landlord to see if they would be willing to change the fittings to the newer, larger size. Not only would this help solve your issue, but it would make the fitting compatible with future tenants. Please be advised that changing this fitting requires professional installation and is not something you can do yourself.

I'd be concerned that changing your hose to a smaller size might restrict gas flow to your heater, so I'd be hesitant to suggest you go and do that.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

We had a 1/2 inch bayonet installed by a plumber into a wall a few years back. He had to extend the gas line about five metres.

The cost was around $200 which at the time I thought was good value.

I'm thinking to replace your fitting should cost less?

Thanks Mitchell,

I have sent an email to landlord and copied your reply if you don’t mind. Thanks for being quick to respond as well. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects