Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to counter sink screws?

CarrieF
Getting Established

How to counter sink screws?

I’m working on an old Bali mirror. The doors won’t close flush as I can’t get screws to counter sink they poke out. Any ideas how to fix this please. They are 4g x 12mm countersunk hinge screws im using. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to counter sink screws?

Hello @CarrieF 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about counter sinking screws.

Looking at the photos you posted, it seems like some of the screws are bigger than the hinge screw holes. Would it be possible for you to remove one of the hinges so that we can actually see if the screw sits inside the counter sinking seat of the hinge?

The general cause of counter sinking screws not sitting properly are not pre-drilling the screw holes and the starting turn of the screw is on an angle. There is also the possibility that the screw is bigger than the hinge screw holes.

However, if the screws are the correct size, I suggest filling the old screw holes with a large BBQ stick covered in Gorilla Glue 51ml Clear Bottle. Cutting the excess off with a craft knife and drill new pilot holes for the screw.

But if the screws are the wrong size and sit proud of the hinge, I suggest bringing the hinge to the store and testing which screw fits best. If none work, the other option is to get a slightly large hinge that will accept a larger screw.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @CarrieF,  I  agree 100% with @EricL 's suggestions.

One way to check if the screws are not correct for the hinges is to remove one hinge and drop a screw into the hinge's screw  hole. 

The head should sit down into the hole with nothing protruding. If they do not protude then you'll know that the holes in the frame are not the right size to accept the screws. If the heads do protude, you'll need to get different screws, as EricL has already stated. 

CarrieF
Getting Established

Hi Eric thank you very much. You are right. They don’t seem countersunk on the hinge. I’ll send a pic. I’m going to head to Bunnings today and hopefully get correct ones. Your advise is brilliant and very much appreciated 

0861FDEE-8DA2-48CB-9C67-138D6254A8F8.jpeg

CarrieF
Getting Established

Thank you, I’ll head to Bunnings today and fingers crossed I’ll get ones that work. 🤞🏽

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@CarrieF I had a similar problem with screws being larger than the countersink on the hinge, I used smaller gauge countersunk screws, I also increased the length of the screws, to suit the timber. It looks like you can use longer screws for you timber.

I used 6 guage x 25mm Timber zinc screws - Hinge Long thread countersunk head Phillips screws for the door panels and 6 guage x 20mm for the framework

JoeAzza_0-1682242368810.jpeg

CarrieF
Getting Established

The problem I’m having is the screws are the smallest size available. I bought other brass hinges which came with screws and they still poke out a bit. Bunnings was really helpful but the screws are really bad quality in that the Philips part is sheared  by the time they are screwed then in with correct size screw driver. I pre drilled the holes after filling them like Eric suggested. And even put a steel one the same size in first. It’s really frustrating. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @CarrieF 

I would like to offer two possible solutions. If you have the necessary tools to change your hinges, I suggest having a look at the Lane 38 x 22 x 1.6mm Brass Fixed Pin Butt Hinge - 2 Pack. These hinges are a bit bigger than your current hinges and its important they are the same width so that they 'll fit the thickness of the door.

It will require you to cut a bigger mortise slot in the door, but you'll be able to use larger screws for the new hinge.

The second hinge I would like to recommend is the Lane 50 x 40 x 1.2mm Zinc Plated Fixed Pin Non-Mortise Hinge. This hinge can go directly to the door with no mortise necessary. The hinge is also large enough to take larger screws that will sit flush with its face.

It will be necessary to fill in the old mortise slots for the old hinges, I suggest using UNi-PRO 500g Multi-Purpose Interior Filler.

I propose going for another visit to the store and this time trying to match the hinge for the next size up but staying in the same width. This will allow you to use bigger screws without having the hinge hanging past the thickness of the door. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

CarrieF
Getting Established

Hi Eric thank you for your suggestions. I only just got around to finishing it. What I decided to do was to drill larger counter sink holes in the brass hinges. This worked brilliantly. 

IMG_8615.jpeg

IMG_8801.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work finding a solution @CarrieF and many thanks for sharing it with us! I'll be sure to give your method a go next time I run into this situation.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects