Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between doorframe and wall?

moloko
Growing in Experience

How to fill gap between doorframe and wall?

IMG_20221108_130441.jpg

IMG_20221108_130428.jpg

Hi guys, 

I've noticed that the very thin area between doorway frames and the wall have these sorts of "paint gaps" where the paint seems to have come away from where it was in some places. The door frames are a metal-like frame and the walls are cement render. These are interior rooms. How does one address these, if at all? It does look a bit unsightly.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fill gap between doorframe and wall?

Hi @moloko,

Let me tag some helpful members who might like to share how they would go about this repair: @homeinmelbourne@TedBear@TheHandySqirrel@MikeTNZ.

Resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be back on the site this afternoon to assist. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. You'll see we have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day, so don't hesitate to post anytime you need assistance. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Hi @moloko,

It's a fairly easy and quick fix. I would use Selleys No More Gaps Interior Gap Filler in White to fill around the whole doorway frame. Once applied, you can use a caulking tool to smooth it over. If you find that it's not smoothing over perfectly, you can apply a light mist of water along the caulk and smooth it over with your finger, paddle pop stick or the caulking tool. 

Let us know how you go with caulking the gaps and feel free to post some photos of the finished result. 😊

Thank you @Jason for tagging us.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @moloko ,  I  agree with the solution offered by @homeinmelbourne  and would add that the join may look more natural if you don't try to make it a smoothed-over connection.

That is, I suggest running a wet finger down the filler to create a shallow indent in the join. That way both sides of the frame will take on a rounded look and the unsightly, unpaintable gap will be gone. It may take a bit of practice to get it right without ripples.

In any case only you will be able to see whether a flat or indented join gives you the most satisfaction.

Hi @moloko

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @TedBear and @homeinmelbourne. Just to add to the ideas suggested, you can also use masking tape to cover the sides of the area where you plan on applying the Selleys 475g White Multipurpose No More Gaps

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone seal a bath ( the technique used is applicable to your doorframe )

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects