Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Whitco window lock thats not opening with key

johnnikk
Finding My Feet

How to fix Whitco window lock thats not opening with key

85B89024-E700-48F3-BC2C-FEB2F4958586.jpegLock button stuck down and won’t unlock with key. Tried suggestion of pushing button at same time as jiggling key, but still no movement of button. Is there a fix? Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix Whitco window lock thats not opening with key

Hello @johnnikk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your window lock.

If I recall correctly the locking button should pop up when you twist the key clockwise. One of the reasons that the button is held down is the winder has been over tightened and has pinned the locking pin in place. I suggest spraying the button and winder with WD-40 275g Lubricant with Smart Straw. Let the lubricant settle and hopefully it will be enough to let the locking pin slide out of the lock when you turn the key.

Another method you can try is to push the lock button down and turn the key clockwise. Keep the key turned to the very right so that locking pin mechanism is on the released state. Slowly lift your hand off the button and it should pop out.

If the key is a generic key for the other window locks in the house it should work. But if it is a dedicated key there is the possibility that this is not the right key for this lock. If you happen to have other keys in your possession, it might be worth checking if any of those keys are the right one for that window.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your window unlocked.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @tom_builds for their recommendation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @johnnikk , one addition,

if @EricL 's suggestions don't fix things could be, to get someone to push inward on the bottom of the window frame from the outside while you try to unlock it on the inside, in case the window has been closed too tightly and the pressure on the frame is jamming the lock. 

Hi Eric,

Had sprayed with WD40 already so tried your other suggestion.  No joy, sorry.

Thanks

Thanks @TedBear. Your suggestion also no joy. However good news @TedBear & @EricL, my son turned key with pliers and pushed button down with screwdriver and managed to unlock.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Good to hear that you've found the solution @johnnikk .  Nothing like a bit of brute force...

@TedBear 's  suggestion of pressing inward on the bottom of the frame from outside while trying to open the lock worked for me. Thanks! WD40 alone didn't help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Rick2 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

It's great to hear that the suggestions offered in this discussion has helped you unlock your window lock. If you have any other questions regarding your window, please don't hesitate to post a question. I'm sure our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rick2
Finding My Feet

Thank you @EricL . I haven't used this forum before now but can see it should be very useful in future. 

jaiprak
Having an Impact

@johnnikk @EricL - I didn’t have keys to the house I moved in. So I just unscrewed the whole unit and remove the pop up button.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects