Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a door that automatically closes?

Mukka53
Finding My Feet

How to fix a door that automatically closes?

Hi,

I have a door that auto closes which is really annoying and I am sure there is a fix for this , maybe a new hinge ?

Please see attached

Door_01.jpg

Cheers.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix a door that automatically closes?

Morning @Mukka53 

Immediate thought - a door stop.

Second thought is to alter the hinge position - ever so slightly - to counter the effect of gravity.

I'm assuming the door is closing and locking you out?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mukka53

Thank you for sharing that question about how to fix a door that self-closes. It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. His recommendation is spot on, you either use a magnetic door stop or change the position of the hinge. One easy method to determine which way your door is leaning is to place a spirit level on top of your door while it's open. You'll then be able to tell which hinge you'll need to adjust.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Morning,

Thanks for you thoughts I think attempt to  alter the hinge position option , do I bend the bottom of the hinge or add small washers to achieve this ? 

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mukka53

That's actually a good idea, I suggest doing a bit of testing first. Open your door and remove one side of the top hinge and open the door. If it swings back in, that means that it is the bottom hinge that needs adjustment. However, if the door stays in place, it is the top hinge that needs adjusting. 

Please make sure that all the hinges are connected back in and only the hinge you are adjusting will be the one loose. Keep in mind that adjusting the door's position could result in the door hitting the door frame. If that happens you'll need to plane the side that's hitting the frame.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your door steady and adjusted.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects