Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a sticking door with solid iron hinge?

kaminokyoku
Getting Established

How to fix a sticking door with solid iron hinge?

Hi everyone,

My main door is sticking and I'd like to fix it in an easy way, usually, for internal doors, I make some adjustments on the top hinge and it will be an easy fix.

However this main door has a solid hinge, seems to be cast iron I guess. As per the attached photo, I can't even get the pin out of it, even if I get the pin, I guess I still won't be able to bend the hinge.

Wondering if there are some easy solutions for this, thanks in advance!

photo_2022-08-03_10-51-26.jpg

photo_2022-08-03_10-51-25.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix a sticking door with solid iron hinge?

Morning @kaminokyoku 

"I can't even get the pin out of it, even if I get the pin, I guess I still won't be able to bend the hinge."

Not sure why you want to remove the pin or what you mean by "bend" the hinge?

Amateur that I am - can we unscrew the door from the hinges - chisel a deeper rebate - for a better closing experience? Or once the door is off - plane the edge of the door for a better closing fit.

But is it also binding at the hinges?...

Damage = reason?Damage = reason?

Thank you for the reply, sorry I didnt make it clear

I guess chisel will be my last option as the door is really heavy, I usually just bend the hinge a bit for internal doors like the picture below

Screenshot 2022-08-03 120152.png

Hmmm...well there ya go. I've never tried that @kaminokyoku  - but I am surprised a shifter would provide the grip on a polished pin area to allow it to bend the actual hinge?

Cheers.

The Happy Amateur. 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kaminokyoku

Thank you for sharing your question about your door hinges. The current hinges you have are the Fairview MK2 + Elite aluminium door hinges. Due to their aluminium nature, I wouldn't recommend bending them with a shifter. Odds are they may tear or bend out of shape compounding the problem even more. I suggest doing a little bit of investigation on your door. Can you push/lift the door to its original position? Are the hinges angled in their installation?

If both questions are answered with a no, the possibilities are that the hinge has bent due to the weight of the door. I suggest going with @Noyade's recommendation and just plane the door with a Trojan 160mm Block Plane. This would be the easiest solution without having to disassemble the door.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kaminokyoku
Getting Established

Cheers EricL, I will plane the door

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects