Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix warped laminate flooring?

Simmsy
Just Starting Out

How to fix warped laminate flooring?

16464324470754824710851478325940.jpg

 We have had water damage near our front door and the first few boards of laminate flooring have bowed is there a fix or better to replace it?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: warped laminate flooring

Hi Simmsy.

I'm an amateur floating floor person - but to me, they look like they need to replaced, however there are more knowledgeable people than me on this forum. I'm really interested how this turns out for you - as I may be in a similar boat soon. I'd love to learn how to remove a few boards without having to lift the whole lot.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: warped laminate flooring

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Simmsy. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing laminate flooring.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've experienced damage to your property.

I'd agree with @Noyade's assessment that it's most likely going to be a replacement job. Will they flex back to the original position if you push down on them? If so, you could try weighing them all down whilst drying out the room with a heater. If there is any residual moisture left in them and the heater dries that out in the correct position, they could set back and remain in that original position. I can't imagine even then they'd look 100% like original, but it's worth a shot.

What's likely happened is that the whole section of the floor, including the boards on the sides of the lifted area, has swollen from the moisture. The buckled area is just where the boards have managed to spring up and release some of that tension.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come to it, but here's a step-by-step guide you should find helpful: How to lay laminate flooring.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects