Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a pet door in a rental property?

Leea
Just Starting Out

How to install a pet door in a rental property?

I am currently in a rental property with a cat and a small pup was wondering if there’s a cat flap / doggy door that is easy to install without cutting holes in the doors because my 2 back doors are glass sliders with security screens on them 

Thanks

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to install a pet door in a rental property?

Hi Leea!

"cat flap / doggy door that is easy to install without cutting holes"

Can you provide photos of your doors?

The security screen also slides? I was thinking since the rental company allows pets - you could ask them for permission to install one? Can't imagine them paying for it though.

But I can't see how you could get away with not having to cut something?

I recently installed a PETWAY doggy door which Peanut and I are are happy with - but that was a swinging screen door and it definitely required cutting to fit. I could talk you through that?

Better advice forthcoming I'm sure.

Best of luck from me and Peanut!

20211023_190314.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Leea

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing a pet door in your rental property.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. I suggest using the Hakuna Pets Black Small Patio Pet Door. It's easy to install as no tools are necessary to keep it in place. It can also be removed and put back in as needed. This pet door is perfect for rental properties as you will not need to make any changes to the sliding doors. 

However, I won't discount the possibility of the homeowner agreeing to the proposal of installing a pet door. I suggest asking your landlord as there is always the chance that they will say yes.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

That's brilliant Eric!

What a wonderful informative site this is. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects