Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install curtain tracks on ceiling?

deathbyGyprock
Getting Established

How to install curtain tracks on ceiling?

Pls help, I cannot let this defeat me but I’m tinkering on the edge.

I need to install curtain tracks to my ceiling. I have tried different anchors but each attempt has been a fail. The holes become too big and the fittings aren’t secure (and by fittings this is just the ceiling clips). 

What I have tried this far:

- ensure that the initial holes made aren’t too big, a bit of force has been needed to push these to ouch their original holes.

- different sizes of the gravity spring toggles, same result.

- the round anchor that I tried that you screw in, it just came straight out 

it’s like nothing will hold to my plasterboard ceiling. 

IMG_4685.jpeg

IMG_4689.png

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to install curtain tracks on ceiling?

Hi deathbyGyprock...

These anchors are designed to hang a lot of weight on plasterboard..

I have a heavy home theatre movie projector suspended from the ceiling with 4 of those plastic anchors.!! and the metal ones will support even more weight..

Just make sure the hole you drill is not too big..It can't be any larger in diam. than the core body of the plastic anchor..Screenshot_2.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @deathbyGyprock 

Probably my eyes - but are you drilling into the curved aspect of cornice? Is the rail heading at 90 degrees from this spot?

Any idea what the weight of the rail and curtain will be?

IMG_4685.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @deathbyGyprock 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about hanging your curtain rail.

It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from @Prof and @Noyade. Just to add to ideas given, I recommend having a look at Tox M6 Flip Toggle Bolt, Ramset 3 / 16" x 50mm Round Head Toggle Spring - 4 Pack and Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchor - 10 Pack.

The anchors I've suggested are toggle type anchors, which means that they have an opposing brace that prevents them from being pulled out. Just a word of warning that when these toggles are installed, they will be difficult to remove.

My number one tip is to test the screws of the toggle anchor on the curtain anchoring device that came with your set. You can also do the reverse and test the screw that came with your anchoring device. Please do the test before you permanently install the toggle in your ceiling gib.

Here is a handy link to help you repair the holes in your ceiling: How to patch plaster

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much! Will give these bad boys a go :smile:

It’s most probably my epic photography skills - def not a curve.

running horizontal in this, the single line you drew (Thankyou for that).

not sure of overall weight, the rails are def light but there are quite a few sheer and blockout curtains to attach, and these are weighty. 
this is also my concern for longevity so inwant to make sure it’s secure before hanging them

Thank you so much for the info and very much appreciate the how to patch link.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects