Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install the track for a barn door?

Tamaraskie
Finding My Feet

How to install the track for a barn door?

Everyone talks about how they built their Barn doors but nobody is talking about how to install the track. For example, when installing the header for the track to help the door miss skirting boards and door frames what screws do you use for the wall? How has the base of the door been built to accommodate the door stopper? I'd love to install one myself but am finding I have more questions than confidence haha I think I've over thought the process and scared myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Barn door installation

Looking at the Lockwood kit, the spacers for the rail mounting is included to give the clearance including the screws for the top rail to suit plasterboard or solid walls. Stops fit on the top rail and there is a small glide to screw to the floor.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Barn door installation

Hi @Tamaraskie,

It's great to see @Brad has already been assisting you. He's provided a great example of what you'd expect to have in a kit like the Lockwood 2m Outland Barn Door Track Hardware Kit.

As he's mentioned, there's no header board as such, though you're free to use one if it's called for. The spacers and fixing hardware are included in the kit and the door stoppers conveniently fit onto the ends of the rail, so no need for them at the base. The guide is all that is needed on the floor.

We'll be here to assist you through the whole installation process, so I'd encourage you to give it a crack.

Please let us know if you have more questions or get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects