Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a feature wall for open plan living/dining room?

kettlehouse
Finding My Feet

How to make a feature wall for open plan living/dining room?

Hi team,

I am after some suggestions around creating a feature/accent wall for my open plan living and dining area. The wall is a long connected wall with two high windows on it(photos attached). Can I do some VJ panelling or timber cladding from Bunnings on this wall ? If yes. how to decide the thickness of the panels as the windows have outside casing/cover which looks very distinctive from far. Also , if I have to paint the panels, should I be painting the window casing as well?

Thanks

Anu

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.49.33 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.51.16 pm.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to make a feature wall for open plan living/dining room

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kettlehouse. It's wonderful that you decided to join us and many thanks for your question about feature walls.

You could certainly do some VJ panelling, but don't forget there are far more styles available than just the traditional ones. Check out the Easycraft website for a tonne of inspiration. The panels all come in similar sizes, and their thickness won't really reduce the distinctiveness of the casement windows. Once the panels are installed, you could frame around the window with Porta 19 x 12mm 2.4m Bev Glass Bead Pine Moulding, which would soften the impact of the windows' harsh lines.

The need to paint the frames on the windows will come down to your colour choice for the new features wall. There is no need to paint them, though a fresh coat might suit the new styling better.

Let me mention @ProjectPete@craftyhopper@Megarakawa@EleventhCoastal and @Joe3333 to get their opinions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc for your valuable answer. It definitely helps me to think much better now. I had a look at the work done by the great work done by @ProjectPete@craftyhopper@Megarakawa@EleventhCoastal and @Joe3333 . I was thinking to  do a full easy VJ panel wall and paint the panels sage green/blue or do a half wall like @EleventhCoastal did. Would you please advise on if I can go ahead with either of this as I need to add some statement to this huge wall and window obstruction is my main problem.Thanks again.

Hi @kettlehouse,

There is no reason why you couldn't do a full VJ panel wall or a half wall. The sheets can just be cut to fit around the windows, and their location shouldn't cause you any obstruction.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects