Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make this DIY tiled desk?

gvrgvm
Occasional Browser

How to make this DIY tiled desk?

Tiled Desk.jpg

Hi Bunnings Workshop members, 

I'm interested in DIYing the above desk to be the following dimensions; 700mm (D) x 1500 (W) x 730mm (H) and will be starting from scratch. Could you please advise the best timber to use for the framing and how I can approach starting? I'm wanting to use the Decor8 306x306mm Porcelain Mosaic Tiles and was hoping for a yellow grout if possible.

My only setback is that I don't have many power tools at home, including a drill for connecting the frame together. Do you have any cost-effective methods you can recommend?

Feedback is welcome!

Thanks, 

Georgia

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Tiled Desk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gvrgvm. It's sensational that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question on the construction of this fabulous table.

Considering your available tools and your constant, which is your tile selection, I believe the easiest construction method would be using a 2400 x 1200 x 25mm MDF Standard Panel. The tiles you have chosen are around 50 x 50mm, so the thickness of your top and sides will need to be at least 50mm thick. If you double up the 25mm thick MDF, you are right on the mark. You can have this cut in-store, and you'll need four 680 x 700mm pieces for the sides and two 1500 x 700mm pieces for the top. You can glue these together with Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive

At a minimum, you'll need a cordless drill to join the pieces together with screws. Since it will be difficult to establish rigidity in the table without the use of brackets, I'd advise using some long Zenith 14G x 125mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws through the top and into your side panels. Glueing these joins will also be necessary.

It appears the creator of this table used a standard tile adhesive to attach the tiles. The other alternative would be to continue using the Liquid Nails construction adhesive.

Since it is not a common colour for the yellow grout, you'll need to custom make it. Combining Davco 1.5kg White Sanitized Superfine Grout and yellow oxide would be one way to do so. If you see a helpful team member at our Special orders desk, they'll be able to order in this oxide from one of our supplier's Australian Builders.

I've also put together a rendering to illustrate the method of construction I've described.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects