Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a screwless telephone outlet?

Kazur
Getting Established

How to remove a screwless telephone outlet?

Okay, this might be a silly question... But, I have these screwless outlets in the apartment, and I can't for the life of me remove them! What the hell?! There are 2 tiny button-like notches that I've pressed with a flat-head screwdriver, but the thing still won't budge.

What am I doing wrong here? I've tried to pry it open as well but slightly damaged the drywall around in the process already. Surely this isn't supposed to be this difficult? I want to see what cable is used in there. IMG_20220423_093645.jpgIMG_20220424_120631.jpg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove a screwless outlet?

Hi @Kazur , interesting that the front plate won't pop off, since that is the only way I've ever come across to get at the screws. The cover is thin, so don't put the screwdriver in too far. Also place a piece of thin metal or plastic (such as a scraper) on the wall to lever the screwdriver against without it pressing directly onto the plaster. Try levering at the corners. 

Alternatively the slots may be to access some sort of catch, so maybe it's not levering but firmly pressing inward with  thin driver that's required. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kazur. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing cover plates.

Generally, you should be able to place a screwdriver in the notch and flick the cover plate straight off. Instead of the wall, you might need to use something else as the fulcrum point. Take a small flathead screwdriver and place it into the notch. Put a thin strip of timber or bunch up a tea towel and place it under the screwdriver. Lever against the timber and pop the cover straight up and off. You might need to push in on the tab at the same time. I've created the rendering below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have success or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kazur
Getting Established

That worked! Thank you both so much!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm pleased our advice worked for you @Kazur!

Feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home and garden. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Just pop them of they clip on ,then the screws are under that 

Kazur
Getting Established

So I was able to open the outlet and see what cable is in there. I'd like to change the socket from RJ11 to RJ45. I know I need the following product to replace the office room outlet https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-excel-1-gang-rj45-port_p4330573
But, what outlet do I need to replace the following? It has the TV antenna socket(I think that's what it is?), RJ11 (which I'd like to swap for RJ45) and the NBN socket.

IMG_20220423_093722.jpg

Kazur
Getting Established

Or is it possible to only replace the RJ11 keystone to RJ45 and keep the existing outlets?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Kazur,

The individual sockets pop out of that outlet, allowing them to be interchanged.

It depends on the manufacturer of that outlet as the individual sockets have different proprietary shapes. This DETA CAT 6 RJ45 Ethernet Grid Plate Insert looks like a close match. If it isn't a direct replacement, you'd need to work out who makes that outlet and get the RJ45 socket to suit. Alternatively, if that isn't going to happen, you'd need to replace the whole outlet. You might not find one that comes with Ant/PAL, RJ45 and NBN in it already. You'd need to get a 3-gang outlet and replace the individual sockets with their compatible options.

I'd try that DETA insert as it looks almost spot-on.

Mitchell

Kazur
Getting Established

Any tips on how to pop the RJ11 jack out? I want to take the outlet with me to Bunnings to make sure the RJ45 one you suggested fits. Here are some pics I took. Do these notches here have anything to do with it?

IMG_20220426_172633.jpgIMG_20220426_172649.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects