Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a screwless telephone outlet?

Kazur
Getting Established

How to remove a screwless telephone outlet?

Okay, this might be a silly question... But, I have these screwless outlets in the apartment, and I can't for the life of me remove them! What the hell?! There are 2 tiny button-like notches that I've pressed with a flat-head screwdriver, but the thing still won't budge.

What am I doing wrong here? I've tried to pry it open as well but slightly damaged the drywall around in the process already. Surely this isn't supposed to be this difficult? I want to see what cable is used in there. IMG_20220423_093645.jpgIMG_20220424_120631.jpg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove a screwless outlet?

Hi @Kazur. only just got back to viewing this workshop...

It's the slots on the sides that you need to put a thin screwdriver into and press inwards. That will push the small hooks in and allow it to slide out. You could also press into the front slots to help push it back, or tilt the unit toward the side to get the latch to come up a little. There isn't much wriggle space in the holder so you may have to also push it out via the front slots. 

I would put a small driver in a vice, facing upwards, protruding just a little, then place the front slot over that while also pressing in to the same-side slot. Repeat for other side.

Kazur
Getting Established

That plug is ridiculously difficult to pull out... I've been trying for 15 minutes and nothing. Oh well I reckon I'll have to get the whole outlet

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kazur,

Typically you'd push that kind of socket out from the front with your thumb. They can be pretty stiff, and if you haven't done it before, it could be quite tricky. I use both my thumbs, one on top of the other and pop the socket out. There are quite a few little tabs going on there, and as @TedBear has mentioned, you might need to depress them to see some movement.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects