Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove glue from walls?

Dorah
Just Starting Out

How to remove glue from walls?

2DF262A4-C968-44AE-A6D6-BAE0CBEBC429.jpeg

0DD6910F-F4BB-495E-ADE6-A076951A4B9F.jpeg

8F690048-BC62-439A-9BBF-1F38965FEC02.jpeg

Hi everyone, any ideas and advise on how to remove or solve the issue with my living room wall? It’s a 70s beauty with brick veneer wall. The living room Plasterbooard walls were cladded with some kind of brown Formica panels. I’ve already removed those and left with the liquid nails, kind of tough sticky glue. I have no idea how to remove them and fix the wall on a tight budget way since replacing the whole living room walls could be a bit expensive.

0AB35D86-7E57-4763-95FA-97F3932FF93F.jpeg

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to remove glue from walls?

Hey @Dorah 

You might get some tips from this post - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/Removing-old-paint-from-walls/m-p/28583

Unfortunately your walls look in pretty bad shape. Plasterboard is relatively cheap. I'd bite the bullet and replace the walls so you get a great result.  

Shane
Having an Impact

What have you tried to get the glue off? Does a sander work?

Dorah
Just Starting Out

Thanks @MartyH , will have a look at the link you’ve shared. The liquid nails on my wall are pretty bad and stuck.  Thanks for your contribution anyway 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

I suggest this tool if it can fit in the budget. If it is very tough ( the glue )  use low number on sandpaper like 80 or 120 this will eat into the glue but if too much force is used will eat into the wall as well. Just be aware not to stay in one place too long. Then use a finishing sand paper like 300 or refer to your local builder/handyman for finishing advice.

The orbital sander not the finishing sander.The orbital sander not the finishing sander.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Gosurvey
Getting Established

Use a product called "ZOFF". It's brilliant !!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @Gosurvey. We are looking forward to seeing more of your posts and reading about your own projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Welcome to the community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects