Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint metal door frames?

ATR
Just Starting Out

How to repaint metal door frames?

image.png

Hi, I need to repaint several enamel metal door frames that are very chipped. Any tips/suggestions.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repaint metal door frames?

Hello @ATR 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to re-paint metal door frames.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to paint metal door frames by @homediynoob. It was suggested in the discussion to use 240 grit sandpaper. I would also like to recommend using an electric sander when sanding the metal door frame. Using an electric sander will not only make sanding go faster, but it will give you a uniform finish all around. It's also a much more effective way of removing old metal paint.

If you wish to avoid brush strokes, I propose using a mini roller such as the UNi-PRO 100mm 4mm Nap Little Ripper Microfibre Mini Roller Set. However, for a clean professional finish the best way to repaint it is by using a paint spray gun.

I propose using the Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White along with Dulux Aquanamel as the top coat.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when working on your metal door frame.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ATR
Just Starting Out

Thank you Eric, much appreciated.

Would I be able to use any of your spray paints in a can for the Primer and Top coat?

Thanks 

Ange

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ATR 

If you want to use spray cans for the entire project, I suggest having a look at the White Knight Rust Guard 400g Grey SLS Etch Primer Spray Paint. You can use any of the Rust Guard topcoats on this primer. 

If you decide to spray paint the lot, I suggest making sure to mask the areas you want protected from over spay by using drop sheets and masking tape

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint window frames

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Kyelz
Just Starting Out

If the door frames are already painted do they still the primer

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kyelz. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about priming door frames.

Typically when you are coating over paint, a primer is required, especially if it's gloss paint that was on the door previously. I'd suggest giving the paint a light sand until it has a dull appearance with 180-grit sandpaper and then applying Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White followed by Dulux Aquanamel as the top coat. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects