Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a smashed bay window?

Russ42
Building a Reputation

How to repair a smashed bay window?

In the recent winds we had an edge tile fall off the roof onto a roof glass of a bathroom "bay" window. (see the photos). It is about 6m high so to access the top of the glass panel I would need scaffold. It is too hot in this bathroom in summer with this glass panel so we keep it covered. I am thinking, instead of replacing the glass involving hiring scaffold, etc. I could simply silicon (or sykaflex) a sheet of aluminium up onto the glass panel and insulate under this. The broken glass is laminated and mostly just the top laminate is broken. The silicon will seal the cracks in the bottom sheet of glass so the panel would be water tight and the glass would supply support for the aluminium sheet, which is pretty light. I can add supports under the aluminium sheet also with about 2cm of polystyrene for insulation and fibre cement sheet to hold it all up. Any foreseeable problems or suggestions are very welcome.

My first thought was to remove the panel and repair it but I was told by a glass guy there are screw which need to be undone which can only be accessed from above. I will take a look from the roof when the wind dies down. I can access them if I remove the glass from below first, but I cannot replace them.

Thanks in advanceIMG_3588 (1).JPGIMG_3587.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Smashed window repair

Hi @Russ42,

Since this is not safety glass, and even if it were, I would be very hesitant to offer any advice that might convince you to give this a crack yourself. I hear you that this is most likely the top layer of laminated glass, but the risk of injury is very high if something was to go wrong. If the second sheet were to fail whilst you were completing your project, you risk severe injury, and your safety is my number one priority. I'd encourage you to enlist the services of a professional glazier to at least assess the glass and let you know if it's stable enough to contemplate your idea of adding an aluminium sheet underneath. Until the glass is assessed, I'd recommend you isolate the area so no one can stand underneath.

This is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed as soon as possible; we just need to make sure that the "fix" is the correct and safe approach.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Russ42
Building a Reputation

It's only a small pane (😁) and no-one is about to stand underneath (except perhaps a small child with careless parents). I will be doing what I posted next week. Just want to know of any improvements I can make on my plan.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

For some reason, my brain had decided they were large panes of glass, and that was an alcove that you could walk into @Russ42. I can now see that it's a small window nook, but even with the clear scale indicators, my mind still wants me to believe it's an extravagant walk-in glass-enclosed viewing area.

Your idea sounds quite reasonable, but working around glass, especially broken glass, is quite risky so I suggest you employ the services of a professional to complete this work for you.

Mitchell

Russ42
Building a Reputation

So much for "a picture is worth a thousand words"..... I think there is a restriction here on the number of words. Thanks Mitchell. I got up on the roof again and there are just 4 rivets holding it on up there. There is no weight on them so the option to smash the glass out and silicon a sheet of aluminium in to replace it is back on the table. Will have a look at one of those sheets of insulated aluminium and see if that will do. Only problem I can see is an aluminium sheet will expand and want to pull away from the frame creating a "cusp" between the rivets I will be putting in. I may need to put a frame of flyscreen frame around on top to try to prevent this. Sounds a bit wrong (I wont be able to put it on the bottom side as the rain will pool there). Any tips? BTW, the glazer I had fix another standard window talked about scaffold and quibed: "Good luck getting someone to do it". OMO (on my own)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Russ42 

Having a frame hold the aluminium panel sounds like a good idea. In this manner even with the heat expansion the panel will stay in place. However, looking at it from a long-term point of view it's not an ideal solution. Water will eventually find a way through the cracked glass and once it comes into contact with the insulation it will deteriorate. 

It's possible that you won't see any water come through your repair work, but above it the trapped moisture will begin to breed mould and mildew which will slowly find its way out and into your bathroom.  

I suggest exploring the possibility of hiring someone who can put up scaffolding and replacing the glass. I propose posting the job on Airtasker or Hipages and see the kind of quotes you get for the job. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair a smashed bay window?

Evening @Russ42

😕 Man, what are the chances. Obvious question but do you have insurance?

My next thought is how to remove it safely and replace it with something that will insulate as well as be waterproof. I like the idea of the Aluminium but think it will absorb heat like crazy. I will think about this for the evening and see if I come up with a way around the heat issue.

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Russ42 ,  I agree with both @EricL  and @Dave-1 on this.

That piece of broken glass will be a burden to you in future in many ways, not least of which is the risk that your insurance Co won't help you if someone gets hurt in future by it (such as a visitor or service person) and you could then be in legal trouble if they sue you because you knowingly left something unsafe in place. If you are insured, this is a job for the Insurance Co to put right. You could then discuss with the fixer about fitting something other than glass in the space 

If you are in a DIY situation, then removing the glass is still an essential stage in the process. 

A thick aliminium sheet could be a good solution and to get past the heat & consequent expansion I would be considering along the lines of first bolting (using small countersunks and nuts) some sections of aluminium U channel (on its side) around the top and two sides of the sheet, leaving gaps so you can rivet the sheet to the existing roof opening.. Then, when it's in place rivet another slightly larger sheet of aluminium to the U channel, so that you are shading the lower sheet from direct heat with a small air space separating the two sheets. (Designed without seeing the actual situation, so only you'll know if the idea will also look ok from the outside).

Russ42
Building a Reputation

Thanks Ted, this all makes a lot of sense, and not only because we holiday rent the space. Luckily I have access to 3mm (+-) aluminium sheet and the frame has a slot for the glass and another slot which could be for a sheet of something structural with insulating properties ( hence my thoughts on, perhaps 5 ply, sheeting. I am thinking the ply would negate the necessity for the second sheet of aluminium? I will take another look at the profile of the aluminium frame to double check. In the first picture you may just be able to see the channel the glass is in, under which there is a second channel where we have put corflute holding up polysyrene ( for insulation ). These 2 channels should suit the purpose.

To remove the glass safely I am thinking I will tape it up extremely well and wear everything (eye protection, head protection, disposable clothes, mask. To break it I am guessing a hammer with a cloth wrapping to prevent small shards as much as possible?

I think I have a rubber mallet around here somewhere, perhaps that will be the ticket..

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Russ42 

Ive been trying to come with another way of fixing the roof/window but really keep coming back to removing the broken glass and then following your aluminium panel. Id suggest a sheet of perspex but not sure how that would be (strength wise) and insulation wise all I can think of is those horizontal curtains like a concertina.

😕 

Would love to see how you end up going tho :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects