Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair hole in wall from broken door stopper?

unawarek
Cultivating a Following

How to repair hole in wall from broken door stopper?

I have this magnetic door stopper that broke off the wall, leaving a hole about 3 to 4cm wide. 

Looks like the previous owner used 2 wallmates to attach it to the wall, which I assume isnt the best way to do this.

I plan to remove this completely, and have a rubber one screwed into the skirting at the bottom of the wall.

How can I fix the hole in the wall? Can I just use a multipurpose filler like the Uni-Pro interior filler to just fill it up, or do I need to put a backing into the hole so that there's something for the filler to "rest" on behind it, or do i need to use a wall repair patch over the hole then use filler over it (seems a bit over the top since the patches are 10 to 15cm big)? 

Here's a photo of said hole:

image.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair hole in wall from broken door stopper?

Hi @unawarek 

Thanks for posting that photo of your door stopper. It would seem that a great amount of force hit the receiver causing it sink into the plasterboard wall. 

Since the hole is marginally big, I suggest putting in a backing panel in the hole to hold the filler in place. Using UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler to repair the damage should be just fine.

Have you considered moving the magnetic door stop lower and installing it on the skirting board instead? This will give the receiver a stronger base and prevent it from sinking.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
unawarek
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric, what do you suggest I use as a backing board, and how would I attach it to the back?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @unawarek 

One method below. But being low to the ground - I have stuffed old newspaper into the holes like this as a backing - and plastered over it - then sanded.

Cheers.

Scan1439.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @unawarek 

If you have a look at the image posted by @Noyade, that is exactly how you can fill the hole in your wall. I suggest adding an extra step and that is to put adhesive on the plywood so that when you pull it towards the wall it will stick to the inside surface of the plasterboard. 

In regards to the type of timber, any timber off cut you have lying around will do. As long as it is the correct size and is not too heavy, it can be used as a backing panel for the repair.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

unawarek
Cultivating a Following

Followed both your advice @Noyade and @EricL - just need to wait for it to dry completely before sanding it down. The filled up hole is pretty thick and still felt a little moist after an hour.

I used a piece of cardboard and some string to act as the backing, then slathered on the filler. The next time I do this, I might enlarge the hole a little bit more so that I can fit in the backing properly - couldnt really get it to sit flush behind the wall. 

Lucky this is behind a door, and close to the ground, so it doesnt really matter it it looks bad! 

hole.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @unawarek 

Thanks for the update, just be patient and let the filler dry properly until it is nice and solid. Once fully cured then you can begin sanding it down.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects