Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a speaker connector?

filthy
Getting Established

How to replace a speaker connector?

404702305_10161496976358756_7722776740046035693_n.jpg

anyone have a method of replacing the speaker connector? I can't get the spring back in as there is no wiggle room and needle nose pliers aren't doing the job

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace a speaker connector?

How frustrating!

Let me tag experienced electrician @CSParnell to see if he might have some suggestions @filthy.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @filthy 

I suggest trying this technique. Place the spring inside the switch body and see if you can push it back with an ordinary flat head screwdriver. The screwdriver head will need to fit inside the speaker clip assembly. Slide the switch back into place and slowly release the spring making sure that that it lands on the little nipple that's protruding from the switch.  

If that does not work, my next suggestion is to put the switch inside first and then position the spring going into the back first. Using your long nose pliers in combination with the flathead screwdriver try to push the spring back into its original position.  

Please remember to wear personal protection such as goggles and a mask to prevent the spring from hitting you in the eye or face.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear, @JoeAzza and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good evening @filthy 

They are a pain in the neck I must admit :/. I have tried many times to get the spring back in and have found the wiser and easier course of action is to replace the audio terminals themselves. 

You can go to your local Jaycar store and they are actually as helpful as Bunnings staff :smile: Id take a few photos of the terminals plus the model of the unit you have. They can look up and recommend the type to replace it with (Jaycar is an electronic store) 

I had a quick look online and didnt see any 8 way terminal from Jaycar but did see one from Element 14 (Jaycars parent company)

Element 14 push terminal cable spring 8way 

Its not quiet the same but I am showing you what steps id go through and have when I replaced my terminals.

The switches are usually easy enough to replace if they arent soldered on the inside, ALWAYS remember to unplug the audio unit before opening it up.

If you are unsure then I would take it to an electronics place for repair. You may not need to open it up if you have a look at the spec sheet of the unit you have (manufacturer and model and seach will usually bring the data sheet up) If its complicated then a repair center is my recomendation. 

Dave

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @filthy I can't say I've honestly replaced one before @Jason but sounds like Eric has it covered and called on his usuals anyways :wink: 😉 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @filthy  trying to compress the spring with pliers will have been an exercise in frustration. Short of replacing the terminal strip (as an ex electronics tech, I'd probably do that) you could instead try compressing the spring with strong cotton... use a number of turns and tie it off... and then inserting it onto the plastic pip, then push it down into place. Then use a knife to cut the thread and release the spring when it's in place.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects