Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace flyscreens with internal pot riveted tabs?

Jwilliams97
Finding My Feet

How to replace flyscreens with internal pot riveted tabs?

IMG_8738.jpeg

IMG_8737.jpeg

Hi

I need some advice on how to replace my fly screens. I have done this many times on other houses however this one has a pot riveted internal tabs that sits over the channel where the spine goes so I’m slightly at a loss. Other than drilling out the rivets, any suggestions? And if I drill them out can I reuse the same tabs or will I need to get new tabs?

Thanks in advance 

Jane

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Replace flyscreens with internal pot riverted tabs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jwilliams97. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing flyscreens.

Looks like the only option would be to drill out the pop rivets. It's a bit of an annoying design really, but you'll be able to reuse the tabs again, as it shouldn't damage them.

For a refresher and for those other members coming across this discussion, here's a helpful guide on How to replace a flyscreen.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much for your help. I ended up drilling out the pop rivets and replacing the fly screen successfully. As I had all the tools out and set up I ended up doing all the screens on the house all in one go (they were almost 20 years old and did look a bit weathered and tatty). Took all afternoon but they all look great, all clean and new. Amazing how much difference they can make. 
thanks again. 
Jane

That's great to hear, @Jwilliams97! Many thanks for updating us on your success.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects