Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal roof tiles?

kay001
Just Starting Out

How to seal roof tiles?

Hi All

Thanks , in advance for your advice.

I'm wondering about how to seal a few small gaps in my roof where the terracotta tile was knocked off by a possum and replacement tile now has a small gap.

i can see a cement looking product has been used on other tiles (its an edge tile)

Would i be best to make a cement mixture or try a sealant product (like selleys gap filler silicon) ?

cheers

K

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal roof tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kay001. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing roof tiles.

The cement-looking product is called tile pointing. It provides a strong weatherproof bond between roof tiles and the hip and ridge. You'd have much better results using it than a cement mixture as it is designed to resist cracking, unlike cement. Simply apply some to your trowel and push it into the gap. Once you've filled the gap, go over the area to smooth it out.

You could use a sealant product if the gaps are only minor. I'd suggest Selleys 310g Roof And Gutter Silicone Sealant - Translucent instead of the gap filler, as it is suitable for adhering to tiles.

You might like to check out this previous discussion: How to repair cement roof tile pointing and bedding.

Since you'll be working on the roof, I'd recommend you take extreme caution, have a look at this guide on How to use ladders safely, and if you're in doubt or not confident working at heights, consider calling in the professionals. I'd imagine this would be a quick and, hopefully, relatively inexpensive job to have completed for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects