Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hydroponic vegetables project

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hydroponic vegetables project

Last season I started to grow some tomatoes in large pots outside.

They were regularly watered and fertilized and I had a few tomatoes on the plants. Then we started to get high daily temperatures reaching into the mid 40's! Even with the plants sheltered with shade cloth..they all died.

This was the second time that it had happened..the first being at another location. I decided I wouldn't try again, and besides at my age it was becoming impracticable to do any further gardening. 

Then one day I happened to come across an article about growing tomatoes all year round indoors! This perked up my interest again. I discovered that one could grow tomatoes indoors in a hydroponic system!

I liked the idea because you didn't have to worry about bugs and insects getting at your plants..and the containers were at bench top height, so no bending, no watering and you can have tomatoes all year round.

I've always imagined that hydroponics was just for growing Weed, with all sorts pumps and bubblers with lights everywhere and using lots of electricity. What I discovered is that with simple systems you can grow all sorts of herbs, vegetables and flowers.

There is a system called the Kratky method. It's basically having a container with liquid fertilizer and putting a seedling suspended in the liquid. That's it! No pumps or bubblers or expensive lighting.

Looking at you tube video's I found people were even using ice cream containers and large coffee jars to grow tomatoes in. Some used what they call in the US Mason jars. The more sophisticated ones used plastic tanks and grew several plants in them.

I decided to give it a try. The best place I found was in the laundry. It's out of the way and I found that the space between the washing machine and the cupboard was ideal.

Steps

Step 1

At the moment the tomato plants are just sitting in water

The instructions on the fertilizer packet suggest leaving them in plain water for 1 week..Then for the next 2 or 3 weeks they will sit in a water solution with 50% addition of fertilizer..

Then at the beginning of the fourth week a full strength water / fertilizer mix can be put into the tank.

Stage 1Stage 1

Step 2

The tomato plants are now in the 50% nutrient solution and are coming along nicely.

It's time to move the plants into a larger container.

Stage 2Stage 2

Step 3

I've now transplanted the plants in to larger containers..Bunnings of course. Ideal for the job.

Evidently tomato need a lot of nutrient constantly to keep up with their growing needs.

Stage 3Stage 3 

Step 4

The tomatoes are now showing some upward growth.

These tomatoes are called an indeterminate type and can grow up to 1.8M. tall.

Stage 4Stage 4

Step 5

In the meantime I've started to grow some capsicums.

They are initially started under red / blue LED grow lights.

These plants took a long time to grow, so I won't be showing any further updates.

Stage 5Stage 5

Step 6

Next on the list are some cucumbers.

Stage 6Stage 6

As you can see from the photo..the seeds can be propagated in just some cotton wool.

For the other plants I used Rockwool cubes placed in a small humid crib type container.

Step 7

Stage 7Stage 7

Cucumbers are also prolific consumers of nutrient and can go through 5L.of  nutrient in 7 days.!

I had always imagined that with hydroponics you just filled the containers put in the plants and just sat back waiting for the plant to produce the food. NOT SO. There is quite a bit of constant upkeep needed.

Step 8

The next stage of the vegetable production was to grow some lettuce.

Stage 8Stage 8

The containers to the left and right are the Mason jars..They are glass jars..normally with wide mouths and screw-on lids.

They are clear glass ( the reason for the al-foil covering)  which would normally allow light to enter into the roots.

This would then cause the roots to go brown and eventually die.

The container in the centre is a cut down plastic coke bottle. It does the same job and is a lot cheaper.

This is just some of the basic steps for growing hydroponic vegetables.

If you are interested to know any further information about the process..just let me know.

Prof

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Growing Hydroponic Vegetables

@Prof 

:surprised: Wow, I must admit that like you I thought hydroponics was a little shonky but really you have opened my eyes! 

A question or two of course :smile:

Do you think that the tomato plant stems were weaker then ones grown in direct sunlight?

With the capsicums taking a long time to grow did they die off or just havnt finished? I know mine took ages to grow in the sun.

Last question, was it a LED style light you used and what temp was it?

Definently am considering give it a go.

Thank you

Dave

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi Dave..

One thing I've learnt along the way is that you have to be very careful with the grow lighting..

If it's too far away from the grow light the stems get "leggy" but they still have enough strength  to support themselves..but overall I would say the you will get thicker stems in sunlight..

Believe it or not..after months and months of growing the capsicums are still in the process of producing fruit.!! I think at one point they stopped growing..and then weeks later they started again..

Yes it was an LED grow light with a kelvin range 3200 - 4200..It's now a daylight 6500K fluro tube...

I had just about given up on them when suddenly there's new growth.!!

I have also just discovered that if you apply a weak solution of citric acid to the plants..it will give them a real boost..

The things that have always appealed to me about growing hydroponic vegetables indoors is.

1.. You can grow any type of vegetable all year round..

2.. Not dependent on seasons anymore..

3. Not affected by weather

4. Not affected by any bugs

5. Gains are generally greater than growing in dirt..

A few things well worth considering..

Prof...

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Prof 

:smile: Thank you for the info! I forgot to mention I did not know why plants I grew in clear glass vases roots went brown until you explained it and how you protect them from the light! Something so simple.

Dave

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Glad I was able to help you..

trish22
Cultivating a Following

Hi Prof 

what a great explanation of the steps - I’m still working but not for much longer. I’d love to start hydroponics as I’m sick of my veges getting devoured by grubs etc

im doing some research atm 

if you have any suggestions for sites I can read more info on let me know. 
thanks so much for sharing - it gives me hope as I thought it all looked way to complicated. 
trish 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @trish22,

A great place you can start is having a look at @Prof's full breakdown of hydroponics and all of his learnings here I'm growing hydropic tomatoes indoors. Workshop is a fantastic community forum to ask all your garden questions as we have many knowledgeable members to help. I am actually scared to start a garden outdoors because of the birds and possums! But the community has given me confidence that I can grow veggies and protect them. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi trish22..

Growing vegetables in hydroponic systems has been great fun for me..and rewarding as well..

When I first started I knew nothing about hydroponics..except that's how they grow "weed"!!..

But I discovered that's it pretty easy and it can be done in almost any room in the house..

I started mine in the Laundry where I propagated  the seeds into seedlings..

As the plants got bigger, I had to find somewhere else to continue the growing process..

I set up the back wall in my office with shelves and a rack..I used the shelves for the propagation process and where I developed my lettuces..and the rack system was used for the tomatoes and cucumbers because they needed more space and more height..

You don't need a lot of space for a simple setup..and particularly when you use the Kratky system for hydroponics..That system doesn't require any power for pumps because it doesn't use pumps..All you have to do is to keep the nutrient level up..

If you decide to have your own setup, let me know if I can help you further..

Prof...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects