Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for a DIY vivarium please

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Ideas for a DIY vivarium please

MVIMG_20191006_134932.jpgIt looks like my kids and I have managed to get #wifey/mum on board to get a pet snake. So, in true @ProjectPete fashion, it's time to start planning a custom/DIY vivarium because something shop bought is never going to satisfy me 😉

I'm reaching out to this great community for ideas on a) custom plans you've made which you're willing to share, and b) existing furniture items which can be repurposed to create a useful but unique vivarium.

I have a few ideas floating round my noggin but the more the merrier so hit me up 😀

Note - I'll most likely be going for a tall/vertical style rather than long/horizontal.

TIA

PS @Jason we could probably do with a 'Pets' label

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas for a DIY vivarium please

Vertical will look amazing @ProjectPete. Are you going to start with buying an aquarium and then convert it?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I think that's one of the questions I need to answer in this process @Jason 

I did think of that, but then wonder if it's easier/better to build the exact size/shape from timber then insert glass in the appropriate places.

Quite a few things to ponder. You know I don't like to be restricted to shop sizing 😉 but appreciate it would be the easiest way...

----------
Handy and helpful
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

My 2 cents worth...
From my fish experience round corners in the glass give a nice clean look and while you get some distortion in the view in the corners you avoid joins or frames. Bending glass is on my to do list to learn but it is not cheap to set up, acrylic I could DIY with a heat gun and a simple mould. There are people who do one off glass pieces mostly for the restoration market so that is a guide to cost.
Have a think about a heating grid in the bottom so your not just heating from the top down.
A feeding hatch is useful so you don't have to lift the whole lid and since you want to go tall don't go too tall that you can't reach in to set up or clean etc.
I have separate cabinets rather than built ins, next ones I will look into tops other than wood even though you will use a lot less water than me accidents do happen and it is a pita to clean up afterwards. Dog has tested his teeth on the corner of one, using floor tiles or stone would fix that.
I started with bedside cabinets that left some room on top, that tends to collect junk in my house.
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@ProjectPete
I wanna say that I've seen an aquarium to vertical vivarium conversion on you tube - may have been perspex? Honestly I'm not sure, I was looking years ago. I love all reptiles, however hubby has an aversion, so that tanked that idea... no pun intended.
I reckon there'd be more than one or two videos floating around on that by now, though. At least you could start there and get some ideas...
Which snake do you want? Oooh, exciting. Don't let anyone tell you that snakes don't have a sense of humour - they so do.
gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Absolutely stoked for you and the family @ProjectPete .

I've had snakes most of my life so PM me anytime for info.

Here is the enclosure I have for my big boy Rafiki. Jungle/Coastal Carpet Python

I love the big tall spaces. He loves to climb on the branches and lay on his thermostat controlled perch.

The UVB light is awesome and I put in a heat lamp as well on a thermostat so he can get a heat source coming down and up.

Spoilt brat 😂😂

I have him displayed right next to the kitchen table and he loves watching people.

Alot of the accessories you can get in a pet store, but Kmart has some great fake plants.

It's approximately 2m high 1.3m wide and 

.9 deep but there plenty of scope to play around with.

MVIMG_20191006_134932.jpg

MVIMG_20191006_134958.jpg

IMG_20191006_134946.jpg

IMG_20191006_134938.jpg

MVIMG_20191006_135020.jpg

   

@gippslandhome Amazing my friend!

I'm busy finishing off a few things around the house at the moment (pool, decking, etc) so once that's done, I'll get an enclosure mad eup and get a snake - very excited.

I used to have one, but he escaped...

----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPete  your a busy man Pete 👍😁

All the best with everything mate

Kind regards Rob 👍

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

All depends on your choice of snake tooooooooo

we have kept many diff reptiles over the years

water pythonwater python

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects