Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas, tips and advice for home reno

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Ideas, tips and advice for home reno

Hi All.

We've just purchased a house and we'll be getting the keys in December.

I'm fishing for tips, ideas and advice for a home reno. What mistakes have you made that we should avoid?

We don't have to move in for a few months, so we're planning to DIY as much as we can, such as painting, floor sanding, ripping up carpets, etc.

Looking at our plans, do you have any nifty ideas?

To the right of the plan is a main road. The bottom is a side road. The left and top are neighbour boundaries (The garage is connected to the neighbours garage)

We want to keep the budget as low as possible, maybe 50-60k (Includes garden and new fence to soundproof the main road.

One day, we'd like to be able to maybe extend and add an ensuite and a walk in robe if we can. We want to keep it as minimum 3 bedrooms.

Any nifty ideas on how to add a 2nd ensuite bathroom in the existing space (my guess is the floor area is a little small for this).

We're thinking to maybe knock down the wall between living and dining/kitchen (it is load bearing though).

Any tips for the kitchen area? (Currently there is no dishwasher)IMG-20191002-WA0011.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0012.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0013.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0014.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0015.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0016.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0017.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0018.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0019.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0020.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0022.jpgIMG-20191002-WA0024.jpgIMG-20191003-WA0004 copy.jpgIMG-20191003-WA0004.jpgP_20190928_132028.jpgP_20190928_132055.jpgP_20190928_132406.jpgP_20190928_132409.jpg

Regards

Itai

rohitsingh
Just Starting Out

Re: Ideas, tips and advice for home reno

hlo 

Here are some tips for your home renovation 

• Tidy up the lawn.
  • Create spaces to build life memories.
  • Trim, prune, and/or plant those trees.
  • Install low-maintenance landscaping.
  • Build a raised garden bed.
  • Clean your vinyl siding. ...
  • Repaint the front door and update exterior accents. ...
  • Apply removable wallpaper. ...
  • Paint your walls. ...
  • Refresh your cabinets. ...
  • Apply a new backsplash. ...
  • Rejuvenate your bathroom. ...
  • Hang wall art.

And these things you need to avoid while renovation

• Buying cheap materials
  • Updating the wrong things
  • Ignoring the details
  • Not consulting professionals
  • Ignoring lighting
  • Impulse buying
  • Small doorways and halls
  • Skimping on window quality
  • Not doing the prep work
  • Using the wrong paint

and there are also lots of thing to avoid while renovation so its difficult to you to tick all the boxes and it will be easy to you hire a professional budget interior designer for your work. Interior designers make interior spaces functional, safe, and beautiful by determining space requirements and selecting decorative items, such as colors, lighting, and materials. They read blueprints and must be aware of building codes and inspection regulations, as well as universal accessibility standards. designer work with furniture, “soft” furnishings like fabrics and rugs, accessories and colors to pull together a room or an entire house.

and you need not to worry about the mistakes and according to my views depanache interior designer can do your work on budget because they renovate my cousin house last year on a descent budget and they are cheap and best interior designers in bangalore

hope , you like it 

Thanks for joining in the discussion @rohitsingh. I'm sure @Itai appreciates the tips.

Welcome to the Workshop community. We look forward to reading all about your own projects and plans. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @rohitsingh 

Thanks for the tips. Definitely all things we are looking at for the Reno :smile:

Impulse buying is definitely my weak point ... but other than buying some garden tools, I think I'm doing ok! :wink:

Regards

Itai

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

I'm glad you found the Bunnings Kitchen Planner! My only suggestion at this point is to grab some large boxes a tape measure and some chalk. This will give you a better idea of dimensions and where things will stand in. I saw your drawing for your kitchen excellent work!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks @redracer01
It's funny you say that, that's what I told my wife we need to do. We are planning to put boxes up everywhere to get a feel for space.
One downside with the island cooktop design is that it needs an over island rangehood, and the roof is only 2.4m, so it's hard to find a rangehood that fits the space. I really like the Ikea Omnejd rangehood, but it appears too long (minimum height of it is 0.97m), which means there is only 51cm between cooktop and rangehood, so it's just too low. Will have to look other options, though it looks like the Ikea Svavande rangehood will fit as it has a minimum of 0.74, which means I can have up to 74cm between cooktop and rangehood. Not many nice affordable island rangehoods out there.

By the way, any tips on kitchen provider? I've looked at Ikea, Kaboodle and then there's a few other flatpack makers:
Kitchenshack - they deliver fooly assembled units
Kinsman Kitchens
https://uplifekitchens.com.au/
https://goflatpacks.com.au/
https://www.thebluespace.com.au/pages/kitchen-cabinets-online

Those last 2 would be online ordering.
An advantage to goflatpacks.com.au is they are custom made, so I can choose custom sizes.

Of course price is another issue, if they are wildly different, I will look at that too.

I'm planning to get a 2pac satin finish for the doors.
Itai
Becoming a Leader

Hey All. I've been thinking about the 3rd bedroom which will become a childs bedroom one day, and whether I can eat into that space to make an ensuite. Take a look at these designs compared to the original and let me know what you think? (It pretty much removes 1m from the length of the room from 4 to 3m. Then there is still a wardrobe inside this, so pretty much 2.5m)

Also keen on your thoughts as to what I've done with the wardrobe in the master. I've pushed it ~60cm into the room (making the room go from 4m wide to ~3.3m wide) to turn it into a walk in wardrobe. The current planned wardrobe is around 2.6m wide, but this would add another 60cm to the ends, so would turn it into around 3.8m of Wardrobe space. Does this make the room too cramped, or do you think that the left over space would be easy to work with?

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.55.25.png

Thanks

Itai

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects