Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Leaf me alone

Trying
Making a Splash

Leaf me alone

Hi people, well it's been a memorable year, without mentioning the elephant in the mask.

My She-Shed suffered a direct hit from a falling limb off the majestic rivergum which shades my home sweet home. The complete new roof is now finished and I'm in need of advice on the best product to prevent leaf litter, and plenty of it, from blocking guttering and downpipes. The plastic mesh is out as the crows and other birds pull it out and away. Not much of a fall on the roof either. Please advise.

IMG_3301.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Leaf me alone

I'm so sorry to hear that your shed has been out of action @Trying. Of all the inopportune moments, of course, it would be when you're spending the most free time at home. I'm glad you've got it all sorted, though. That must be a relief.

You'd certainly want to avoid the really budget plastic gutter meshes as they are particularly flexible and easily removed by avian antagonists. The more robust plastic versions are better, but I've still seen cockatoos remove them with ease.

You've got a particularly small amount of gutter exposed there and it limits what type of protection can be used. For the lower corrugated roof, you could install GumLeaf 2mm Hole 1200mm Classic Cream Corrugated Roof Gutter Guard and we could enquire to see if a Klip-lok version is available for the upper roof. These can be semi or permanently installed and look fantastic, seamlessly blending into the existing roof. They are brilliant at excluding leaves, but cleaning out sediment buildup can be a bit of an issue since removing them can be difficult. The gutter would likely require a periodic blast out with a high-pressure sprayer.

Another alternative would be to use Whites 110mm Outdoor Fire Retardant Gutter Bristle. They do quite a reasonable job of keeping leaves and debris out and are easily removable to conduct a full clean once a year.

The last option that might give you complete screening of leaves and the ability to remove them every few years for cleaning would be Whites 300mm x 10m Fire Guard Gutter Mesh. You'll find it easiest to install if you remove the last row of fixing screws from the roof sheets. You can then slip the mesh up under the sheets and then bring it forward to sit within the front lip of the guttering. The roofing screws are then fixed back in. Every few years, you remove the screws and mesh to give the gutter a thorough cleaning.

Let me know what you think of those options and then we can discuss further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, Thank you for the kind words, and you're right - so very stressful to deal with in the middle of Covid with material shortages and staff in             isolation, etc..So I'm very grateful for your splendid advice.

After careful consideration I feel;

A. The Gumleaf 1200mm Classic Cream Corrogated Roof Gutter Guard sounds good, but being difficult to remove is a turn-off, especially as a                   pressure  wash may be required for cleanout of gutters.

B. Likewise for the Whites 300mm x 10 mtr Fire Guard Gutter Mesh. Removing the roof fixing screws to install it could be expensive even if it does the         best job and has the least ongoing maintenance. So......

I think the Whites 110mm Outdoor Fire Retardant Gutter Bristle should be fit for purpose.

The bristle option sounds easier to install in my small gutter access and that's important. Also, I currently have the gutters cleaned every 3 or 4             months so if the bristles extend those times I'll be happy. If you concur I'll be very happy. Thank you again for your welcome assistance Mitchell.

Cheers, Trying  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It sounds like the bristles might be your best option @Trying. They'll definitely extend the times between cleanings and are easily removable.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Hello again @MitchellMc , ......while ordering my Whites gutter bristles at my local Bunnings I had some spare time, so I indulged my guilty pleasure of strolling the aisles to absorb and marvel at the many treasures before me. Within this one building I could find everything I needed to build it, barbecue it, install it, heat it, light it, extinguish it, brush it, clean it, knock it down, erect it, plant it, paint it, hose it, hammer it, tie it up, sit on it, wash it, mop it, drill it, screw it, cover it, measure it, protect it, lock it, cool it and gift it !  Love my Bunnings store ....my favourite place for Christmas shopping !

Merry Christmas to all the Workshoppers.  Trying

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Merry Christmas to you as well @Trying. If you get inspired and make another project, please make sure to share. 

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I hope you have a safe and Merry Christmas as well @Trying!  

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects