Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Limp Lane privacy leverset replacement with Gainsborough

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Limp Lane privacy leverset replacement with Gainsborough

Thought I'd share my recent privacy leverset experience.

Around three years ago I replaced all my internal door levers with a Lane product from Bunnings. I don't remember their name/code, but I thought at the time they looked quite good and well built.

But yesterday I noticed the toilet/bathroom outer lever was looking rather limp and would not return to the horizontal position when released.

A quick autopsy revealed the lever spring had snapped.

20221211_161032.jpg

I took the carcass to Bunnings but neither I or a Bunnings team member could locate the product - possibly now a deleted item?

So I looked around and in the end decided on a Gainsborough privacy leverset - G4 = the low end of their product?

20221211_161057.jpg

I'm really thrilled with this leverset. Much better construction all round compared to the Lane.

Better rosette cover that self-centres due to the locking pin surround.

Much sturdier locking pin and locking mechanism.

Much better fastening system. The Lane had a fiddly threaded tube system.

And a very clever square drive spindle that locks into position with a depressed button (No.11). Much better than the springed version on the Lane that flys off when attempting to assemble.

Scan1183.jpg

Similar lever spring to the Lane so I suppose it could break just as easy as the Lane - time will tell I guess.

But, overall, I'm glad the Lane broke. 😁

The finished look...

20221211_161511.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Limp Lane privacy leverset replacement with Gainsborough

HI @Noyade

Thank you very much for sharing that lever set replacement project.  It is a common point of failure with lever sets in general that the return spring will either bend out of shape or snap in the middle. I reckon it is the sudden force of twisting that shocks the spring and stresses it out to failure. 

Again, thank you for sharing that repair project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects