Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Loft attic conversion

zeroasylum
Finding My Feet

Loft attic conversion

20190202_143817.jpg20190202_143857.jpg20190202_143948.jpg20190202_144225.jpg

Hi all,

Need some advice. I have attached some photos and before I get an engineer in I thought I would ask for some ideas from here. I am considering flooring my loft and adding a bigger access ladder for storage as it is quite a big space but I don’t want to put weight on the ceiling joists. The property is a California bungalow. I will only be flooring the part that was extended and restumped on concrete stumps approximately 20 years ago. Now to support the open plan family room/kitchen two large lVL’s exist in the loft space to hang the ceiling joists off and support the roof on one side the other side of the roof is supported in the same way on a load bearing wall to the left. Now my plan was to hang new suitably sized flooring joists above the existing ceiling joists off the LVL’s and also resting on the load bearing wall.
The only issue is there are two I think king posts resting on one of the LVL’s supporting the roof ridge in the middle. The two at the end can stay as these are above the existing wall plates the LVL rests on. Now I am not as roof expert but I have done most of the renovating and framing in a few houses looking at the photos is it possible these were temporary supports to hold the ridge in place during construction or are they load bearing (I should stress the are not nailed in place at the bottom on the LVL but I think they are probably carrying some load). If so what options do I have besides the obvious of running I guess an LVL under the ridge the full length of the one below to support it and supporting that on posts.

The LVL’s are sitting on the top plates of the walls. Would I need to support these further with an extra say 90X90 post in the wall and then an extra stump directly under this and the bottom plate so it is supported all the ways to the ground. I have not checked from the top if the studs have been doubled up directly under the LVL but will do so this weekend. I could only do this on one side the internal loadbearing wall as there are windows on the other load bearing external wall or will the walls be sufficient to take the extra weight of the floor and additional loads.

While mainly for storage I would like to fit the floor with the required material to be fully load bearing for living as the may be a possibility in the future that we convert the space fully to be an extra bedroom.

Advice please

Thanks

Zeroasylum

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Loft/Attic Conversion

Sounds like a great project @zeroasylum. Many thanks for the detail and the photos. I'm sure community members like @BIM_Engineer will be keen to share their experience and knowledge. 

We're pleased to have you join the Workshop community. Welcome aboard and please don't hesitate to post whenever you need a hand or have a project to share. Also, please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Good luck with the project, 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Nice one. One of the best thing we did in our first home, which was a really small Victorian cottage, was to install a roof space ladder in the hallway so we could use the attic as storage. I'm still interested in the idea of "going up" in our current house without doing an extensive renovation, but haven't gone anything about it since posting this ages ago! I'll be keen to see how you go. 

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @zeroasylum

Welcome to the forum Lofts are running Hot at the moment as they provide an efficient economical way to get usefull space into your home.

In order to get the best information and assistance, here are some tips

1. Photos are great but you can't Plan nor Build without some basic, 2D sketches, notes and dimensions for starters (more info requied see Images)

2.The better the Data and Information that accompanies the Image the better the replies and the easier it is for others to follow

3. I illustrate 2 above . and have suggested stiffening and structural positioning of members in the following BIM Images below

4. Gathering Dimensions, data, locating load paths to foundations is essential during the Loft Positioning & Planning Stage and easily done using the right Tools,Techniques,etc

BTW, I would use a  Bosch Rangefinder laser Measuring Tool for those hard to get at locations

Thanks for the post

Cheers

Chris

Dimensions of Loft within the roofDimensions of Loft within the roofDimensions of the walls Supporting The loftDimensions of the walls Supporting The loftDimensions Of the supporting FoundationsDimensions Of the supporting Foundations 

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the replys. Will hopefully get up there tomorrow with the my laser measure and tape and so some initial measuring. I can also easily access the stumps to measure distance from the outside of the house as well as bearer dimensions.

Chris @BIM_Engineer could you tell me what software do you used for these drawings. I am pretty good with google sketchup (have used it for many small projects as well as framed wall design) but maybe you could suggest an architural plugin to make it easier to use. I also have access to autocad but not as much experience designing in it.

Thanks for the info and help so far

Zeroasylum

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Great, looking forward to seeing your Loft/Attic Conversion progress
OT. I will be discussing & Illustrating  AEC BIM 3D Software and REAL Hardware & Tools at a later date on another post
though I do have a preference for Bim 3D Software that use Solid Modelling Kernels (ie Siemens Parasolid)
I find on building sites it's important to be able to Simplify, Visualise & use geometry and Data, for engineering automate processes and run Simulations

You might want to check out the new subscription add ins  for Sketchup Pro 2019?
Unfortunately there is no one program that does everything hence the need for good translators ie X_T hth
Cheers

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hey @zeroasylum

How's the loft design progessing?

Please leave A PM or email if you require further assistance

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately work and also designing a new kitchen to fit has taken most of my time so noting much done yet. I was considering an option after some discussions with a friend involving using structural steel uprights and then a steel beam accross this floating just in front of the load bearing walls either end. The supports would of course go down to ground level onto reinforced concrete footings possible bolted in. Then on the cross beam I could lay the floor joists on this. I have attached a rough picture. I know its more involved but would mean the weight is not on the existing structure. Steel would of course need full engineering specs done. Just curious have you ever see something like this done? The only reson I considered this is I have worked on a conversion in the UK before but its all brick and steel there no wooden California bungalows in sight.

Thank you

Untitled.jpg

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @zeroasylum 

Thanks for the update

If the walls and footings are unable to carry the loft loads, then your proposal for independant Pad Footing->Columns -> Beams or Trusses supporting the loft floor and ceiling loads may be the best solution (OptionC), but this will depend on your available space . hth

loft floor.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects