Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mouldable Glue to mend computer cables

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Mouldable Glue to mend computer cables

20210730_141953.jpeg20210730_142129.jpeg20210730_142156.jpeg

A friend gave me a very practical gift, and it is definitely a DIY essential for repairing minor fixes around the home. It's actually mouldable glue, I never heard of it until now, but it is so practical.

The brand is Sugru, and I think Bunnings has an alternative as well. I like this version because you can get it in different colours and it is very durable.

I used the red version to repair a rip in my computer cable which connects into my laptop. These are common rips as they are stress points in most cables. I couldn't replace the cable as it was an old Apple product and decided to use mouldable glue.

It was very easy to apply, I just moulded the glue around the cable, then let it set overnight. It has been nearly a year now and still looking strong. We also used it to hang picture frames and moulded the glue into small hooks. Lots of other ideas here.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mouldable Glue to mend computer cables

Hello @Nham

Thank you for sharing that fantastic repair tip. It's a great product able to repair cable tears and other hard-to-fix items. The Bunnings equivalent is the Loctite 3 x 5g Black Kintsuglue. Loctite Kintsuglue is an amazing flexible paste created to fix almost any broken object. Shapeable, strong, and flexible after curing, it can be applied to all the things you want to repair, reconstruct, protect or enhance. If you have any other handy tips or advice, please don't hesitate to share them with our members.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Mouldable Glue to mend computer cables

Thanks for drawing attention to this type of product (& to @EricL for the Bunnings supplied equivalent). I am always trying to reinforce the connections of where cords join other parts of my Bluetooth phone earphones, since that is their weak points. (I prefer the neckband and cord versions of earphones because they are always handy & ready to go when not in use. )  This product sounds like it would be good for my use. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects