Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plastering uneven surfaces (Different thicknesses)

DopyDingo
Growing in Experience

Plastering uneven surfaces (Different thicknesses)

Hi Team!

Welcome to another great monday!

Question to the wise, I am tidying up a bit of the gyprock around the house from recent walls being removed and after some tips.

I have a 10mm gyprock wall that is going to be butted up against im assuming a 3-4mm wall. Im assuming I can make the coats wider to minimise the step down over a distance?

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plastering uneven surfaces (Different thicknesses)

Hi @DopyDingo,

Although 6-7mm doesn't seem like much, when we are discussing a flat surface and disguising it to the eye, that is a significant step-down. Consideration would need to be made as to whether beading at the transition would be more appropriate. In saying that, yes you can feather the difference out, but the transition would need to be a significant distance to fool the eye. I am hazarding a guess that 30cm minimum would be needed and even then at certain angles, I think it might still be visible.

Let me mention @Brad to see if he might like to contribute to the discussion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DopyDingo
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc 

That was the distance I was thinking would be needed, my other option I am toying with is mouldings. We are going to be adding moulding throughout that area and I could try to set it up to conceal the seams under the mouldings themselves.

@DopyDingo,

If mouldings were something you were going to be adding to the area, then I would mockup one to cover the transition and check to see if the look is appealing. That would save a lot of time plastering and potentially running into issues if you cant feather the transition.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I like the mouldings idea!

Kango have the widest knife that I can find kango 355mm taping knife and it would take some effort to get it to look right. Gloss paints do show up errors more so than flat.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects