Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Reinforce toy box base

melcadd
Just Starting Out

Reinforce toy box base

4988920F-8B33-42E0-84AB-11A30A806FF0.jpeg

221AB20E-FE2F-439D-A852-70185BC417CE.jpeg

Hi all, 

I’ve just purchased a bookcase with storage box for my LO’s books. I was hoping to have a select few on display, then the rest in the wheeled box underneath, therefore making it easy to do regular book rotations; however, I don’t think the base of the box is going to be strong enough- it’s pretty thin plywood that slides into precut grooves so it’s not actually flush with the base of the side panels. Is there a simple way to reinforce the base???
TIA :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Reinforce toy box base

Welcome to Workshop @melcadd. It's great that you could join the community.

Many thanks for sharing some photos and a good description of your issue. I'm sure our ever-helpful members will have some suggestions for you. Let me tag the amazing duo of @Poppop and @Brad who might like to kick off the discussion. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would widen the grooves to take a piece of melamine same as the rest has been made from.

That may take more tools than you have though so next best is checking the clearance you have between the top of the box and the box opening. Ply comes in 6mm, 7mm and 9mm so you could if the gap allows put the thickest piece you can on the bottom and refit the castors, it would be a glue fix and with 9mm you should be able to counter sink some small screws from the top. If you don't mind sacrificing some storage space 12mm to 18mm ply or Melamine 16mm fitted inside would work and you could carefully screw into the sides. I would use Titebond Melamine Glue which I don't think you can find in the big green sheds.

https://www.carbatec.com.au/titebond-melamine-glue-473ml 

Poppop
Making a Splash

I was thinking along the same lines as Brad. Only leave the original floor in the box and cut a piece of ply to match the internal dimensions of the box and lay it on top of the existing floor. Depending how much weight you are planning on putting in there, the grooves that hold the current floor might be enough to support the weight and the thicker ply will prevent sagging. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Reading that I might not of been clear in the simple fixes leave the original ply in place.

Poppop
Making a Splash

Yep that's what I'm thinking. Just lay another piece of ply on top of the original one to help bear the weight and prevent sagging.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects