Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing gap filler from between walls and stair stringers

JD
Just Starting Out

Removing gap filler from between walls and stair stringers

We're busy sanding back the paint on our Rimu stair stringers (I think that's what they are called - the bit that goes up on either side of the stairs and holds the actual steps)  so that we can varnish them to make a feature of them but we have some areas where the previous owner has put white gap filler in to spaces between the stringer and the wall and we're have a hard time getting this out to replace with wood putty. Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on a good way to remove the gap filler?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Removing gap filler from between walls and stair stringers

Hi @JD,

Welcome to Workshop. We're really happy you could join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Please post whenever you need a hand - we have plenty of very helpful members who share their experience and knowledge.

This sounds like a tricky job. Can I ask what you have used so far to try to remove the gap filler? And could you perhaps reply with a photo of what you are dealing with? It might help our members get a better idea of the problem and how to address it.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@JD

Do you have a multi-tool? Can be very handy for jobs like this and get into little nooks and crannies.

JD
Just Starting Out

Thanks for the input, I managed to get it out by using a really sharp Stanley knife and cutting it on a diagonal and then lifting most of it out. Hopefully I now have enough out that I can put wood filler in there to match the Rimu prior to varnishing it.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, thanks for the update @JD. Glad to hear that you have made progress. 

Give us a shout if you need further assistance with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects