Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Saw horses (Upcycled Telstra installation stands)

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Saw horses (Upcycled Telstra installation stands)

Since saw horses have been discussed I thought I would throw these out there.

Ex Telstra instalation stands that I now use as saw horses, incredibly useful for a multitude of heights and uses.

I have used them as table stands for that extra table needed at parties, just set them standing on end  and twist slightly diagonal.

I have used them as seats at said tables.

I have used them for holding posts while concrete goes off.

I have used them to sit on and weed even (upside down)

And finally I have used them for saw horses in all sorts of configurations as an extra hand.

I have missed one dimension which I will grab when i get home tho! :surprised: Thats the height of the drum of the belly.

Materials

Timber/mdf 10mm thick

Nails bullet head small

Wood Glue (Tho the original dosnt seem to have wood glue used)

Tools

Circular saw

Hammer

Jigsaw or a 100mm holesaw.

Steps

Step 1

These horses we use to sit on to terminate cable while in Telstra, now repurposed to be used for building stands, sawing timber or plain supp

01 20-08-2023.jpg

02 20-08-2023.jpg

Step 2

These are to show the different height configurations you can use them for.

03 20-08-2023.jpg

I have used the horses this way for table leg supports with a door on top for that extra table at parties. Perfect height.

04 20-08-2023.jpg

Wider solid base to sit on. If you look closely you can see the thickness of the timber. So for a 700mm width length then its 10mm + 680mm + 10mm pieces.

05 20-08-2023.jpg

Upside down they are perfect for working on something that needs a short stool. NOTE the two triangle pieces next to the drum of the body and legs to give something for the nails to go into. I suspect that inside the box there are simlar pieces for the corners and edges.

Step 3

I have the measurements tho am missing the drum height lol I will update it when I get home this arvo.

06 20-08-2023.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Saw horses (Upcycled Telstra installation stands)

Love your work, @Dave-1!  

I think it's so important to preserve well-thought-out designs like these. I hope you don't mind, but I put together a couple of renderings to go alongside your project. They don't add anything you haven't already but I thought I'd digitise the design to add another dimension

Great work! I'm thinking of knocking a couple of these up myself.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @MitchellMc  :smile:

Love it! And thank you, Definently something worth preserving and really so useful. One of my mates from the Telstra days already wants one lol

Just remember that they can tilt if you are standing on top hanging to far over :smile: Done that a few times when I havnt listened to my interanl voice going"Is this wise?"

Your pic shows what size sheet you could start with to get one. I will definently have to remember to measure the belly of the saw when I get home :smile:

Thank you again.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

My pleasure @Dave-1!

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @MitchellMc 

The height of the box/belly of the horse is 275mm, just meausered it!

You need to go and buy a lotto ticket @MitchellMc ! :smile: Nice work

Dave

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Dave-1 

You are an absolute gem for doing this!  Thank you so very much 🍾👍  Gold stars AND Good Scout Points to you! 😁

I see what you mean by the versatility of the stools.  They're fantastic!  Good to see how the Telstra engineers did such good deeds for the public good! 😉😅

I'm saving this project for when the weather warms up a bit more!  Regretfully though, the idea of me flipping them over to use as a weeding seat is a bit of a pipe dream, as I doubt if I'd be able to get up again 🤣  

Cheers  🤗  

Hi @MitchellMc

you're another legend  who gets Gold Stars and Good Scout points!

Thank you! 

I am such a visual person that pictures really do speak a thousand words to me!  Between you and @Dave-1  there is absolutely no reason for me not understanding the logistics of making these for myself! 

Big e-hugz to you both! 👏👏

Cheers 🤗

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Tyro 

hahahaha Well @MitchellMc  needs to be tagged in as well, seriously he drew up a beautiful plan and also got the missing meausurement right! (Does he have one of these already?

You could go to Bunnings, Buy the timber and even get it cut in pieces if you dont have a circular saw! Thats how good that plan looks.

Thanks tho :smile: I love well thought out furniture and tools that just work.

hahaha to the weeding seat, yeah I know that feeling also!

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

"Does he have one of these already?" No, just a very lucky guesstimation @Dave-1😃

Mitchell

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thanks for the extra measurement @Dave-1 

👏👍🍻

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects