Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Scope of these forums?

Coonan357
Getting Established

Scope of these forums?

Hi all,

As a newbie to this site, I was wondering what the scope of these forums is.  Must it be limited primarily to the labels? I guess my query could fall under the "Craft and Hobbies" label, as I am interested in metalwork projects, and also getting some pointers on TIG welding. 

Cheers.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Scope of these forums?

@Coonan357

G'day

From what I've seen, it's all things DIY, & open for discussion, the mods are amazing, they'll sort out where a new topic is most appropriate.

If you're looking for a top site devoted to welding, then I highly recommend you check out:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqq70AnPkj4-UApS_m_6mPw

The guy's to the point, not a time waster, deadset thorough, & covers all kinds of welding & metal combinations.

Oh, & welcome aboard mate. : )

John

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Coonan357,

You are certainly very welcome to post about your metalwork projects here on Workshop. I'm sure other community members would be very interested in you sharing your skills and experience. What kind of projects do you typically create?

We also welcome feedback from all community members if they are finding that there's not a label appropriate for their topic. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Coonan357
Getting Established

Hi Jason,

I am a dual traded electronics tech and small engine mechanic, but I love to use the welder for garden ornaments, woodholders, braziers etc.  I am proficient in stick and mig, but have just been given a TIG which I need to learn how to use.  It is capable of aluminium welding, which will be a new experience for me, so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Coonan357

Weld done mate, given an AC TIG welder?

You are one very lucky fella, because they start at a premium price.

I've got a little inverter stick welder that is up-gradeable to being a TIG set up, but it won't weld Aluminium, because it's a DC unit. : (

I too bought a small inverter DC TIG/Stick/plasma cutter, but then realised I couldn't do aluminium, so I'll list it for sale, should have done more research.  My MIG does thick aluminium, but it is a hassle to set up with the teflon liner etc.  My family all threw the hat around and bought me a BOC AC/DC TIG that was on special for my birthday, so I'm all set up now, just have to get the rythm right.

@Coonan357

Check out this bloke.  His instructions are clear and concise and his videos are amazing.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mig-welding-basics.html

Cheers'n'beers

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Coonan357

That's awesome your family pitching in for your BOC AC/DC TIG Birthday present. NIIIIICE. : )

My little stick only DC inverter welder is a Solter COTT-155, & it's tiny.

Of course, with that, it has a very low duty cycle rating, but it's for small fixes only, so it'll be fine.

The big plus for me is the weight (& size), would you believe 3.5Kg?

When stored, leads & all in it's carry case, it's still smaller & lighter than some of my cases with a cordless tool & charger.

I haven't used it yet, some of my other fixes are higher priority, but I'm itching to have a go.

It can be fitted with a TIG kit, but I doubt whether I'll bother, especially after finding out that it can't weld Aluminium anyway, but that's OK for me.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects