Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Study table made from a door

channasanjaya
Growing in Experience

Study table made from a door

I wanted a study/home office table and most of the ones in the market were out of my budget. I also wanted a bigger size table. I checked the options available bunnings and noticed a few laminated boards. But they were a bit too pricey and also needed oiling/varnishing.

Then I came across a flat door, which seems to be of perfect size (2040mm x720mm). No painting needed. No edge tape needed.

Got four task master legs.

Apart from screws which I already had, it cost only 68 bucks (for the door and the legs). Took 30 minutes to put it together. So far seems alright and functional as well. However the monitor shakes a bit when I type :-). I might add a additional leg to the centre later. 

IMG-5387.jpgIMG-5384.jpgIMG-5383.jpgIMG-5385.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Study table from a door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @channasanjaya. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project with us.

What an innovative way to create a custom desk. That would have to be one of the most cost-effective ways of putting a workspace together. 

Many thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing all about the other projects and plans you have going on around your house and garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Channasanjaya.

Nicely done. :smile:

"it cost only 68 bucks (for the door and the legs)."

A 'honeycomb' door?

Are the inner screws (indicated) hitting solid timber?

Capture.PNG

channasanjaya
Growing in Experience

@Noyade 

Yep it is a honeycomb door.

No. The inner screw is not hitting solid  timbre. Only two screws are hitting solid timbre. If for some reason the leg base comes loose my , my backup plan is to glue with epoxy.

I think t will add another leg or two in the middle. There seems to be a very slight sagging. I guess it is normal because there is no apron supporting the table.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects