Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled timber stool

marliemakesit
Making a Splash

Upcycled timber stool

IMG_7022 (1).JPG

Another council clean up, another wooden tabletop to upcycle! I came across two of these tables on the side of the road and couldn’t pass up the opportunity for another timber upcycle. First it was the timber bench which you can check out the tutorial for here and now it's a timber stool.

I’ve always loved the look of stools in bathrooms as a styling piece and a way to add warmth so was keen to make my own. I hope you like it and are inspired to give this project a go!

If you like this project, please follow me on Instagram and Pinterest for more DIY ideas!

1.png

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

·       Timber for top and legs

·       Circular Saw

·       Mitre Saw

·       Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

·       2 ½ inch pocket hole screws

·       2 inch pocket hole screws

·       50 mm wood screws

·       Drill & Driver

·       Wood Glue

·       Sandpaper

·       Clear polyurethane or wood stain/paint of choice

STEP 1

First we removed the tabletop pieces from the base and gave them a good sand. One piece was the perfect size for the top of the stool (measuring 430mm x 220mm x 45mm). Using a circular saw we then cut 4 legs out of another piece to the max width for the pocket hole jig (38mm) (measuring 420mm x 45mm x 38mm).

STEP 2

Using the mitre saw cut the 4 legs at matching 10° angles on both ends.

2.png

STEP 3

Drill two pocket holes into one end of each leg.

STEP 4

Mark out where you want the legs to attach to the top. I left 85mm of space from the ends and 10mm of space from the front and back edges.

Using wood glue and 2 ½ inch pocket hole screws attach the legs to the top.

3.png

STEP 5

To make the long supports (for the front and back) we cut 2 additional pieces out of another tabletop piece the same as for the legs. Cut these at 10° opposite angles on both ends. Drill two pocket holes into both ends and attach to legs with 2 inch pocket hole screws.

STEP 6

To make the short supports (for the sides) cut two pieces to fit between the legs (these are straight cuts, no angles. You might even be able to use some offcuts). To attach to the legs, first drill pilot holes from the outside of the leg and then secure with 50mm wood screws and countersink. Fill screw holes with wood filler. Tip: You can make your own using sawdust from your project mixed with wood glue.

4.png

STEP 7

Give everything a good sand and apply two coats of stain. I used Cabot’s clear polyurethane.

I can’t get over how good this stool looks! It looks like something you’d pay a few hundred dollars for in a boutique home décor store, and we made it with minimal tools and from free material found on the street. How good!

EFNM5431.JPG

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Upcycled timber stool

Phenomenal How-to article @marliemakesit , easy to follow and very informative. The end result looks fantastic! 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @marliemakesit

What a beautiful classically designed chair. Thank you very much for posting that assembly guide. I'm sure a lot of our members will find this guide very useful. Your use of the drop saw and Kreg jig system is outstanding making the chair so easy to put together.

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful upcycle project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @Remarka6le for the kind feedback! 

Thanks @EricL . Definitely getting more confident with power tools and also the kreg jig as I tackle more projects! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects