Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Salvaged timber skinny bench

marliemakesit
Making a Splash

Salvaged timber skinny bench

Perfect for the end of the bed or a hallway try this DIY skinny bench build!

I made this using salvaged timber from an old table top we found on the junk pile. One board made the bench top and another board ripped into lengths made the legs. 

IMG_6054.JPG

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

·       Timber of choice

·       Mitre Saw

·       Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

·       8 x 2 ½ inch Kreg Pocket Hole Screws

·       4 x 1 ½ inch Kreg Pocket hole Screws (or regular wood screws)

·       Drill & Driver

·       Measuring Tape

·       Speed Square

·       Sandpaper

For reference my bench measures 1200mm long x 500mm high x 200mm wide

1.png

STEP 1

Using the mitre saw cut 4 legs at a 10° matching angle on both ends. My legs are 450mm long.

STEP 2

Use the pocket hole jig and bit to drill two holes into each leg. Make sure you drill the holes into what will be the back side, or inward facing side of the board.

3.png

STEP 3

Decide where you want the legs to attach to the top. We came in the width of 2 boards from the end (100mm) and the width of 1 board from the edge (50mm).

STEP 4

Attach the legs to the underside of the bench top using 2 ½ inch pocket hole screws.

4.png

STEP 5

Decide where you would like your leg supports to sit, and holding the support up to the legs mark the 10° angle cuts on both ends. Make the cuts using your mitre saw. 

STEP 6

Drill pilot holes through each end of the support at roughly a 45° angle then attach to the legs using 1 ½ inch pocket hole screws (or suitable wood screws).

5.png

STEP 7

Give everything a good sand. I started with a rough 80 grit and finished with 180 grit to make it nice and smooth.

I hope this inspires you to give it a go. You can make this bench in any size you like and even adapt to make a stool or pot stand!

IMG_5997.JPG

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Salvaged timber skinny bench

Dear @marliemakesit

Congratulations on sharing your first project since joining us earlier this year - and what a start it is! This skinny bench is absolutely beautiful. You can hardly tell it's made from salvaged timber found on a discarded piece of furniture. You deserve to be proud of your work.

Thank you for sharing the tools and materials you used for the projects, along with a step-by-step summary of the process. Woodworking is a popular topic in our community, and I'm sure our members will appreciate the level of detail you included in this project.

You mentioned in your blog that you're new to woodworking. If you're interested in knowing more, I encourage you to check out our Top 10 most popular woodworking projects, which includes many inspiring ideas and handy tips shared by other woodworkers in our community. Our members are also ready to assist should you ever have any specific questions.

Once again, great work and looking forward to seeing your next project. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects