Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean discoloured wall where picture hung?

wendylee
Growing in Experience

How to clean discoloured wall where picture hung?

Hi all,

Today I removed a picture from our lounge room wall and there is like a yellowish shadow on the wall which is quite noticeable.

As I am moving I need to try and remove it if possible!

I've tried Gumption and a little water, also tried one of those white sponges for removing scuff marks, but don't won't to damage the paint already on the wall.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas what I can try please.

Thank you

Wendylee

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean discoloured wall where picture hung?

Hello @wendylee 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's amazing to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about cleaning a discoloured wall.

Believe it or not the colour behind your picture frame was the original colour of the wall when you hung the picture. Your picture actually protected the wall from UV damage. In order to equalize the colour of your wall, I suggest using Flexovit 100mm x 1m 400 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll in combination with a sanding block and very lightly sanding the wall until the strong shadow disappears. Your goal is to remove a very thin layer of paint so that it matches the paint all around it. Too much sanding could make the area too light and we want to avoid that. 

I suggest doing a few light passes in an up and down direction and then walking away from the wall and observing. As soon as the shadow disappears stop and sand no further. Please do not sand the wall in a circular motion as this will be very noticeable.

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wendylee
Growing in Experience

Re: How to clean discoloured wall where picture hung?

Thank you Eric I'll give it a go. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects