Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Waxing a sealed wooden floor

jacobat
Just Starting Out

Waxing a sealed wooden floor

Hi i would like to get some information about waxing my existing wooden floor which has become really daggy. I need to know what type of wax to use for a floor that has already been sealed nay advice will be gratefully received. I am also looking for an old floor polisher if anyone has any advice on where i can get one of these i have already tried ebay and gumtree?

Many thanks

Jackie

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Waxing a sealed wooden floor

Hi Jackie (@jacobat),

Welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic to have you join the community. I hope you find plenty of great advice and information on the site, and have some fun too! 

I'm sure Workshop members will be keen to assist with advice about your floor. Do you know what type of wood your floorboards are? If not, perhaps a photo might help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Hi @jacobat

You would need to sand your floors first. You can hire a floor sander but do be aware that they are big and heavy. How big is the space Jackie?

I haven't sanded and polished floorboards myself before. I've paid professionals to do it a couple of times and haven't regretted the expense. It seems like a difficult job. And the polyurethane coatings most people go with are pretty nasty so you need to keep out of the house for a few days. 

I've heard that the advantage of penetrating waxes and oils is ongoing maintenance. They are spot repairable - you don't need to do a full sand back to the bare timber of the total area. Of course you don't get a glossy finish and it can be a lot more expensive, especially if you need to use a hardener as well. 

I posted this in another discussion about waxing floors, perhaps there is some information on this link that will be of help to you.
http://furnitureknowhow.com/wood-floor-wax/
Wood Working with Wayne
Janey60
Just Starting Out

Innovations were selling floor polishers in their catalog not so long ago

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects