Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What helps against spiders?

Bjorn
Cultivating a Following

What helps against spiders?

Hi Workshoppers

We recently moved from an apartment (31st floor) to a house in the suburbs. With the start of the very warm weather here in Melbourne (35 Degrees and up), we have to welcome new eight-legged pets every second day or so.

What can we do against these visits? I already installed flyscreens on all the windows that we open for fresh air. The spiders are so big, they definitely can't come through there.

Cheers, Bjorn

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: What helps against spiders?

I find belting them with one of these works pretty well.

thong.JPG

But you might find you're better off keeping them as pets. Spiders feed on common indoor pests like cockroaches, earwigs, mossies, flies and clothes moths. Spiders are pretty good pest control.

Bjorn
Cultivating a Following

Spiders so big they can eat cockroaches?!

NB: I'm originally from Switzerland...

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

this-is-australia.jpeg

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

One for you @Bjorn

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

We had mice last autumn, spiders this year @Bjorn! I much prefer spiders :smile:

My husband has been spraying them with a spider pest spray and they die instantly! Not exactly prevention, but it works really well when you come across them.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/pestxpert-400g-spider-blast-eliminator-aerosol_p3010421

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

@Bjorn I haven't tried this myself however I have read that spraying either peppermint oil or white vinegar around your house can keep spiders away. 

It is said that if you mix peppermint oil or white vinegar with water in a spray bottle and spray it around the problem areas of your home as well as in any cracks and crevices, spiders stay away. 

Apparently spiders hate both of these things. 

Good luck!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects