Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the ceiling fan minimum height?

ThePredator
Growing in Experience

What is the ceiling fan minimum height?

When ceiling fans are installed in new houses, is the minimum blade height dictated by a building code ? Any licenced builder able to answer this ?

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Ceiling fan minimum height

Hi @ThePredator 

I am not a builder, but I was curious myself about that...

Here's the guide from an "independent online authority on building and renovation for Australians"  called Build:- 

" The standard installation height for ceiling fans is at least 2.1m from the floor to the blades of the fan, and at least 300mm from the ceiling."

https://build.com.au/ceiling-fans

I hope that helps,  in case there's no  qualified builder's currently on the Workshop.

ThePredator
Growing in Experience

Much appreciated. I've seen similar values on the internet but mostly from US sites. 

My main issue is with roofs that don't have sarking. My last 2 houses have been this sort and unfortunately I did'nt collect any temperature data from a fully sarked roof when I had the chance. 

One would think that non-sarked roofs would have more airflow, and that would lead to the inner ceiling being relatively cooler, but without comparison it's impossible to tell. 

I did come across a value for the minimum height of blades from the ceiling.  Apparently this is dictated by mass of airflow that the blades are able to grab in the gap between the ceiling and the top of the blades. I think it was about 600mm.  

I would also hazard a guess that this is dependent on the fan diameter.

Hi @ThePredator,

It's great to see that @TedBear is already assisting.

The standard habitable room ceiling height in Australia is 2400mm minimum. The Australian Standard AS 4226 – 2008, Clause 12.5. 3 states that all ceiling fans should be at least 2.1 metres from the floor.

I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Apparently the Australian minimum is 300mm from the ceiling, but that is probably about the safety issues... ie our minimum ceiling height is 2400, so with a minimum clearance of 2100 from the floor, that leaves 300mm to the ceiling.  Are your ceilings insulated from the roof space? I think that would have the biggest influence on the temperature of air directly below the ceiling.

In any case it's worth noting that the main way that fans cool us is not by supplying cool air (unless the fan is connected to a cool air source, such as in an air conditioner) but by activating the sweat on our skins, so the best way to do that is to have a fan set to give a low air movement over your body which will just evaporate the sweat. Too high (which is the most common error when using them) and you initially feel cool then just feel the hot air flow once the sweat glands can't provide moisture fast enough; too low and you won't feel anything much.

[Although not part of your post's query:- For sleeping, I found that a floor-stand fan, set at low speed sweeping across the room was best, since it cools the body as the air passes over, then while its away the skin can replace the small amount of moisturise needed to cool down on the next pass over.  I discovered this by I being raised in an old fibro house, no insulation of any sort, with long, hot summer nights. I slept ok. ]

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects