Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What materials for ceiling roof access panel?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

What materials for ceiling roof access panel?

Hi everyone!

https://www.bunnings.com.au/products/building-hardware/building-construction/ventilation/access-pane...

1) What board should we purchase from Bunnings for replacement if our current access panel doesn't have a standard size: 142 cm X 84.

Gyprock board? MDF board? Which one is easier to cut and more durable?

Preferably not too heavy. We are not sure if the ceiling can support heavy weight

2) What kind of Tool can we use to cut the board to our size? We have a wall board saw.

==============================================
Our current panel left by previous owner was broken and rotten so we need a new one. (Frame is okay though)

Thank you for any ideas.

ivanptr_0-1638372580822.png

ivanptr_1-1638372591441.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What materials for ceiling roof access panel?

Hi Ivan.

For me - I'd be going down the gyprock path - inexpensive and easy to cut with a Stanley knife of something similar.

Cheers!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. I agree with the recommendation, I suggest using Gyprock CSR 2400 x 1200 x 10mm 2.88sqm Aquachek™ Plasterboard RE. For extra strength build a lightweight frame using 42 x 19mm 2.4m Premium Grade Dressed Pine. Make sure to paint it all around to give it an extra level of protection from moisture. I've placed a drawing for you to look at, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your roof access panel repaired. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Noyade Thanks! Fortunately we have that knife!  (we thought that we need to have some kind of big machine to cut that)

@EricL Excellent with the direct product link !  We will head to Bunnings to purchase that.

Will post photos if the work is done. Thank you so much guys.

@EricL Just realized its a bit big for our car, could we get that precut in Bunnings?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr

I'm sorry to hear the Gyprock sheet will not fit in your car. Due to health and safety reasons, they will only be able to lend you the tool to cut the panel. But it's actually quite easy to cut the panel. I suggest measuring the opening of the manhole entry in your ceiling and cutting the appropriate size that will work. I've placed a link below so you can see how the Gyprock panel is cut.

How to cut Gyprock: How to handle, measure, and cut Gyprock

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

I thought I'd mention that we have a couple of smaller sizes of plaster sheet that could fit in your car. I'm not quite sure if either of them would be large enough.

Mitchell

Is that how big they make them these days? Ours is less than half that size, and so is my parents, but they're old houses.

I put a cupboard handle on ours so that it doesn't get grubby when it's opened and closed with dirty hands.

ivanptr_0-1642070228609.png

Hi, just want to update you guys, we did it! 

Though there are a few lessons:
Stanley knife can cut the board

But this new knife we got has mid-sized teeth and its not very easy to have a smooth cut.

Fortunately we have a Trojan 300mm Hack Saw and we tried it and it seemed much easier, its very small teeth really made smoother cuts for us.
Just some of our observation.

Thank you guys for everything. Really learnt a lot doing this for the first time.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects