Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What order should I tackle my renovation projects?

Schupfer
Getting Established

What order should I tackle my renovation projects?

Hey All, 

First time poster here. Recently bought a house and I am getting the keys today. I've got a few months to renovate prior to moving in so I am currently putting together a plan of attack. It's very basic at this stage but I am thinking this is the best process in general is:

• Install Laminate/Timber flooring
  • install skirting boards
  • Paint walls/skirting boards
  • Install carpet (by others)

I've done some research on the above however there appears to be a wide range of views on what is best. Just wanted to get some feedback from people who have done this before. 

I will also be updating the kitchen and other areas afterwards so I am looking forward to digging deep into the forums here :smile: 

Any and all tips and tricks are welcome! I have attached some images of the existing house for reference.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What order should I tackle my renovation projects?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Schupfer. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about renovation order.

Congrats on your purchase! What a truly exciting time this must be for you. No doubt you'll have plenty of questions, and our community members are always willing to lend a hand.

I'd don't think you're going to land on a hard and fast set of rules for the exact process to follow. Depending on the availability of trades, you might need to make exceptions to your plans. If it were me, I'd be removing skirting boards and then painting walls, installing laminate/timber/carpet flooring, and installing skirting and painting. The only reason I would try and do the painting first is, so you don't have trades tramping all over your new floor coverings. However, what you have works, though.

Let me mention @redbournreno and @2Belindas to see if they have a preferred method.

I can't wait to follow along with your project and provide assistance as you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redbournreno
Having an Impact

Hi @Schupfer 
You are right, there are lots of different opinions. There is no 'right way' but there can be a best way for you.
1. Always start at the top. Paint ceilings first.
2. Since your current skirting is quite narrow the the aim would be to increase it to 66mm or 90mm height. So it's probably easiest to paint the walls now, with the old flooring there.
3. Rip out old flooring and carpet and pull off skirting.
4. Cut and paint new skirting for carpeted rooms and install that.
5. Install carpet to those rooms.
6. I would install the floating floor next. But think hard about your kitchen. Don't get too carried away with the floor if you will change the kitchen layout soon.
7. Cut paint and install the skirting after floating floor. Make sure you or the installer have planned where Scotia will and won't go.
These changes will massively lift the look of your house
Best of luck!

Love your thoughts @redbournreno! Many thanks for sharing your expert advice.

Mitchell

Hi @Schupfer 

"Recently bought a house and I am getting the keys today."

Congratulations! 😁
It's a wonderful feeling!

My only advice is to take your time and enjoy.

Great advice, thank you!!!

Schupfer
Getting Established

Thank you! 
We took your advice on board and enjoyed a fun weekend of demolition :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can't tease us like that, @Schupfer! Show us some pictures of your work and take us along for the ride. 😀

Mitchell

Haha my apologies, see photos below! 

I'm planning on using a floor scraper to remove the left over tile glue from the concrete slab. I've considered using a levelling filler but I think I'd rather remove it all for a fresh start. Open to any recommendations on removal methods as there is quite a lot to take off.IMG_5763.jpgIMG_9675.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work, @Schupfer!

I'd recommend a rotary hammer drill with the biggest flat-bladed SDS chisel bit possible. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects