Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repaint shower floor tiles , doable?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Repaint shower floor tiles , doable?

Hi we have a shower with ugly floor tiles.

Can we repaint it ourselves using the products from Bunnings? Any success stories?

Thank you for any advice

The requirement for the paint material should be much higher - durable, water and mould resistant since we have 4 people in our family and all use the shower in the bathroom

Thank you for any advice😥

image8.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Repaint shower floor tiles , doable?

Yes Bunnings do sell a tile paint that you can DIY.

Would I recommend it? No, people always seem to be unhappy with how it works on floors.

Walls do have a higher success rate but I still think as much as I hate tiling I would put new tiles down.

Others may have a different view to me.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ivanptr. It's fantastic that you've joined us, and thanks for your question.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help guide you through this project when he's back on the site tomorrow. In the meantime, you might like to take a look at this discussion about Painting a shower base as there are plenty of great tips and product suggestions.

Please keep us updated on how you go with this project. We'd love to follow along, and we're always here to help.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

Recently tile paints have reached the point where they are now durable enough to be used on shower floor tiles. However, the manufacturers of these paints do not recommend them for that use yet as there are just too many variables to consider. Unlike wall paint, where a quick wash down of the surface with Sugar soap prepares it, shower floors get caked with soap scum and oils, making it almost impossible for the paint to bond to the surface. Theoretically, if they were brand new tiles and grout, the paints would stick to them very well, but this is not the case with older showers. There is no actual way of determining to what extent the tiles need to be cleaned as soap scum can be invisible. This makes it hard to specify preparation steps as one person might need to lightly scrub their tiles, but the next could need to spend hours removing built-up scum.

As @Brad has mentioned, you might like to consider tiling the surface. That way, you'll have a perfect tiled surface for many years to come. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to tile a shower tray.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects