Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to use to stack my dryer on top of my washing machine?

hunzahun
Finding My Feet

What to use to stack my dryer on top of my washing machine?

Hi there. I have just moved to a new rental unit and our bathroom is quite small. We have just set up our washing machine and now I'm trying to figure out how to get the dryer to stack on top of it as there is absolutely no room in the bathroom to fit it on the floor anywhere in there. The problem is that the hot and cold taps sit above the washing machine and they stick out about 20mm from the wall and they will intercept with the dryer so it can't sit neatly and nicely flat on top of the washing machine without being pushed forward by the taps. I'm thinking about using something to raise its height, but I'm concerned on what to use because the dryer tends to shake around a lot and I don't want it to vibrate its way off to the ground during the cycle. So I've thought I'll use those antivibration pads but they won't be high enough. And the walls are double brick so not much will actually hold itself to the wall. I have attached photos of the washing machine, the taps, the bathroom size and the dryer at the very end... ANYWAY.... Any ideas ? PLEASE.

20220108_160047.jpg

20220108_160105.jpg

20220108_160111.jpg

20220108_160143.jpg

20220108_160148.jpg

20220108_160213.jpg

20220108_160222.jpg

20220108_160300.jpg

20220108_160310.jpg

20220108_160317.jpg

20220108_160353.jpg

20220108_160413.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Help!! I don't know what to use to stack my dryer on top of my washing machine.

Hi Hunz!

At the moment the front-loading washing machine is semi-blocking the entrance to the bathroom?

Do you think the area was designed for a small top-loader?

You could install smaller taps - but...

If you move the washing machine further to your left and slightly forward from the wall - the dryer should fit on top - but I take it the dryer would then totally occlude access to the mirror/cabinet?

20220108_160143.jpg

My only other thought - most likely equally impractical - would be the construction of a 'strong' box that the taps can then enter - giving you a full-sized platform for the dryer - which will now be quite high - ?

Do not drink and doodle!Do not drink and doodle!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help!! I don't know what to use to stack my dryer on top of my washing machine.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hunzahun. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about double stacking your washer/dryer.

Changing the taps to something a bit more low-profile like these Kinetic 15 x 20mm Chrome Plated Double Mini Cistern Cock might assist. They're 80mm high. Is that low-profile enough? Your current taps are around 135mm tall.

It looks like the current taps are really quite high above the washing machine. I'm not too fond of the chances of raising the dryer that high on legs. As you've mentioned, that will make it very unstable. You'd need to attach it to the wall with a dryer wall mount. However, working around the mirror on the wall would be an issue in itself.

Perhaps you could make some type of raising platform/box to achieve the extra height?

It is a tiny area you've been given there. As @Noyade mentioned, I can't imagine anything fitting except a very compact top loader.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if he has any good ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Noyade,

What's that saying about great minds?

Mitchell

Go @hunzahun, you are very limited for options there, esp with it being a rental. Pretty thoughtless layout, isn't it? My thoughts were the same as @Noyade and @MitchellMc a box to raise it above the taps. I would recommend modifying the design given, by placing the horizontal supports in a little from the top and bottom,  such that the sides extend up and down so they can prevent the shelf sliding off the washing machine. Then adding a narrow timber strip to the lower back and upper front to prevent any forward slip of the shelf itself and of the dryer sitting in the shelf. (Alternatively you may be able drill holes in the upper shelf to allow the dryer's feet to sit in, which would also keep things lower. Add a rubber mat, or non slip grip (https://www.bunnings.com.au/all-set-50-x-200cm-ivory-multipurpose-non-slip-liner_p2581055 ) to the top of the machine to absorb vibrations and protect the machine's paintwork.

PS: before fitting the dryer, I'd also plug in a power strip (this one has side entry plug and separate switches https://www.bunnings.com.au/click-white-4-outlet-switched-powerboard-surge-protect_p0255492 ) and hang it to the left of the taps. That way you can switch the units off and on safely before moving them and can plug in an electric toothbush if need be.

Any ideas of what material to use to construct the strong platform?

I had the idea to change the taps myself actually.

Any ideas of what material to use to construct the strong platform?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Something like this 2250 x 600mm 30mm Plywood Pine BC Grade would be ideal. The platform pieces can be joined together with PVA glue and timber screws. You'll need to pre-drill the screw holes with a 5mm drill bit, so the timber doesn't split.

I like @TedBears idea of adding the edges to prevent the dryer from vibrating off.

Mitchell

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"I had the idea to change the taps myself actually."

I never doubted you for a second HunzaHun! Do it! :smile:

And once you do, I think you will have the clearance to avoid the 'boxed' connection between washer and dryer.

Using those taps that Mitchell mentioned above would be the way to go.

Playing around with a similar connection with a '70s tap, I gain around 40 to 45mm extra room.

Your taps look even longer.

Note the dust on mine - I don't think you'll miss the new taps being behind the dryer - until you experience problems with the washing machine and even then I'm sure you can twist the dryer to the right for tap access.

Please provide a photo when mission accomplished. :smile:

Extra ClearanceExtra Clearance

But wait - there's more!

I'm looking at your photos above again HunzaHun and I'm wondering if attaching a small extension cord that has the pin end with the 90 degree cord entry would also provide some extra clearance but more importantly, prevent the dryer crushing against the current (pun) cord causing an electrical short?

Could helpCould help

(I will now cease and desist - getting up and walking away from the PC...)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects